WineXpert Adding glycerin to kit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d8893

Junior
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of making my first batch of wine. The person at the wine store recomended the Winexpert Vitners Reserve Merlot kit to start off with. After reading several post here, I decited that I would like to add glycerin to it to give it a little more body. At what stage should I add it, and how much should I add. Thanks, and this site has been invaluable to me.

I have searched and read several threads concerning the addition to wines to increase body and mouthfeel, but I am unable to come up with the amount of glycerine that you should add to a 5-gallon batch of wine.
However I did find this in one of Wade's posts where he was answering this question:

"Use Glycerine in your wine to give it more body. Glycerine increases the wine`s mouth-feel giving it a fuller, more pleasant texture. Glycerine also smoothes over some of the harsh characteristics that are prevalent in most younger wines. Glycerine is a natural by-product of fermentation. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous syrup that has little noticeable flavor except for a slight sweetness. That makes it perfect for taking any wine and turning it into a big, macho red. Glycerine can also be used in cordials to enhance their body.

DIRECTIONS: Before adding Glycerine, the wine should be clear and moved off of any sediment into a clean container and ready to bottle. Add the Glycerine directly to the wine. It is important that the wine be stirred thoroughly to evenly disperse the Glycerine."

If anyone can help us with the amounts usually added to a 5-galllon batch of wine, I too, would appreciate the guidance.

I did some more searching and found the following... I hope it helps...

Any wine that feels thin can be corrected by adding something called glycerine, also known as glycerin, glyceritol and glycyl alcohol.

Glycerin is a natural by-product of any fermentation. It is what causes the legs or tears on the inside of a wine glass when

when the glass is swirled.

By increasing the amount of glycerine in a wine you are increasing its mouth-feel which in turn gives the impression that the wine has more body. Another way of describing its effect on a wine is to think of the difference between drinking whole milk and skim milk.

A typical dose would be 1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of wine. The maximum dose that would be recommended is 4 tablespoons per gallon which also equals 1/4 cup. Using more that this could have a negative effect on the wine. Wines with too much glycerine are described as fleshy, chewy or even meaty.

1st let me say I buy it by the gallon. The directions say 1-2oz per gallon. Now glycerine comes in 4 oz bottles. After adding 4oz to my wine I can taste the difference. So, I would be careful not to add to much. I add it @ bottling. But, you can add anytime after wine is clear.
You can also add mouthfeel bu adding the "banana soup" (cheaper)

Glycerine?

Have you thought about a malolactic fermentation to get a 'rounder' mouthfeel?

I've had good luck with that on a chard and a cab to make a fuller wine.

Any thoughts on that?

J-

Have you thought about a malolactic fermentation to get a 'rounder' mouthfeel?

I've had good luck with that on a chard and a cab to make a fuller wine.

Any thoughts on that?

J-
Not advisable for kit wines. Said to make the wine "flabby". Whatever that means.

Steve

Midwest has it by the gallon also at $44.95. I use 8 oz per 6 gallons of wine and I put it in just prior to bottling. Works well.

FYI
I add glycerine to all my fruit wines. I "may" add some to some of my "winejuice" wines also.
You only want to ad for adding body.
As wade would say ... anything to help WE ... LOL

Latest posts

Back