WineXpert Adding glycerin to kit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got
That's enough for 1,000's of gallons...

I use 2 drops per ounce of wine, which is about 4-5 mL per gallon. It does not take very much to change the wine. I advise bench trials.

I got caught up in people talking about price for a gallon.. but I ended up ordering a 32oz bottle, which showed up about an hour ago.

I'm going to try it in my Skeeter Pee to see what it does... because with the 6 cups of sugar in my 5 gallon batch, it still doesn't taste right to me.

I use glycerin at the rate of 2 mL/L in my white wines just prior to bottling. If adding glycerine and or sugar, be sure to add Potassium Sorbate at the recommended rate as the glycerin can re ferment after bottling. Also consider adding 1 ml/L of gum arabic for enhanced mouthfeel. Sulphite your wines at 30 to 50 ppm of free sulphites depending on the pH prior to bottling.

I use glycerin at the rate of 2 mL/L in my white wines just prior to bottling. If adding glycerine and or sugar, be sure to add Potassium Sorbate at the recommended rate as the glycerin can re ferment after bottling. Also consider adding 1 ml/L of gum arabic for enhanced mouthfeel. Sulphite your wines at 30 to 50 ppm of free sulphites depending on the pH prior to bottling.

What would happen if glycerin were added before it was bulk aged?

...the glycerin can re ferment....
My research led me to believe it was not fermentable.

I can let you know in a month or four. I added some (1oz per gallon) to a wine kit that was 4 months old.
It has been sitting in a carboy for 2 months since. No signs of fermentation. No sorbate. Sulfite, yes.

Glycerine is not fermentable under normal conditions, so sorbate would not be needed for glycerine only addition.

Shouldn't do anything as it's basically a sugar alcohol derived from plants and won't ferment, I don't see why you wouldn't add it after though as you may or may not like it. I prefer it over back sweetening for whites, it also tends to smooth over the wine more while both glycerin and sugar bring out the fruit.

I have added glycerine, (4 ml/L), and sulphites to a white wine but no sugar and no potassium sorbate. The wine started fermenting in a couple of weeks. Fortunately since it was a test to see if the glycerine would referment it was still in a carboy and not bottled. Just passing on my experience. Based on that, I add always add potassium sorbate when adding glycerine.

How did you check it was fermentation and not just escaping trapped gas?

Anyone with a gallon of the stuff care to put some in a hydrometer tube with some water and yeast and check?

Glycerine is always produced during normal fermentation, the following is from Lallemand indicating typical wine glycerine content associated with specific yeasts. The glycerine remains in the wine and is part of the flavor profile. This data wouldn't be realistic if it were fermentable. There are rare cases of glycerine being broken down by certain bacteria, but since the degradation is not yeast based, potassium sorbate would provide no protection.

Glycerine Production.png

Glycerine is always produced during normal fermentation, the following is from Lallemand indicating typical wine glycerine content associated with specific yeasts. The glycerine remains in the wine and is part of the flavor profile. This data wouldn't be realistic if it were fermentable. There are rare cases of glycerine being broken down by certain bacteria, but since the degradation is not yeast based, potassium sorbate would provide no protection.

View attachment 57683

Very interesting chart. I prefer my wines dry but the perception of sweetness produced by Glycerine, for me, does wonders for a wine.

I got

I got caught up in people talking about price for a gallon.. but I ended up ordering a 32oz bottle, which showed up about an hour ago.

I'm going to try it in my Skeeter Pee to see what it does... because with the 6 cups of sugar in my 5 gallon batch, it still doesn't taste right to me.
I just got a small 6 oz bottle. At the drug store to do 1 gallon bench trials. It should last me for the next year and was only $5. Easy experiment.

My research led me to believe it was not fermentable.

I can let you know in a month or four. I added some (1oz per gallon) to a wine kit that was 4 months old.
It has been sitting in a carboy for 2 months since. No signs of fermentation. No sorbate. Sulfite, yes.
Just racked that wine to a fresh carboy, adding sulfite.
Tastes great.
Nothing’s changed since the last racking.
I plan to add a bit of finishing tannin and rack/bottle in a month or two.

I tried adding glycerine to my Frontenac Noir - other than giving it a little jammy mouthfeel, it really didn't do much as far as I was concerned. For those that might be interested, I also tried several blends with 75% Frontenac 25% Cabernet, 25% Nebiolo and 25% Petite Syrah - didn't care for any of them either. However when I increased ABV to 20% and backsweetened to 2% residual sugar, I found that to be a winner.

Back