Adding fruit to fermentations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggymorning

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, nothing fussy here. I've often made simple grape and fruit wines with my mother but we had the fruit all at one time after purchasing at pick-your-own farms.
I've moved onto a lovely 2 acres full of raspberries and blackberries. But they wont all ripen at once. Once they have started, is it possible to keep adding fruit through the first fermentation? Im not so concerned about the end flavor, more about learning which problems might be associated with doing this, etc.
(barring freezing or otherwise holding the fruit till its gathered.)

the primary fermentation will go quicker than the time you will probably be collecting fruit

pick it and freeze it until you have collected what you plan to use. freezing is helpful anyway for juice extraction. black raspberries are on here and I will have collected 50# by the end of the week at my current rate. a little every day, freeze and seal it up until I have what I want.

cheers

Last edited:
Totally agree - freezing the fruit is the way to go. I did this with my strawberries and it worked very well.

adding fruit to fermentations

Freezing was what I am thinking yes. But assuming no room in the freezer, no friends with freezer space, etc, What would be the drawbacks to adding fruit through the first fermentation if it were made necessary?

Will you be adding this fruit during the primary fermentation? Like in the first few days?

If it is longer than that - you may want to consider using the fruit as an f-pac to your wine.

Back