WineXpert Adding flavored tea?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
I am doing a Symphony kit which I have just racked to secondary. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a flavored green tea in the secondary.
I have a Celestial Seasonings green tea with blood orange and star fruit. The taste on its own as a tea is just the fruit, not too much tea flavor. The only thing I am concerned about is the green tea that goes with the pouch. So I was wondering if anyone had added tea and what the results were. I would think it is ok since about the only thing in tea is tannins and I'm not sure how much tannin green tea has. I'm guessing much less than black tea.

Lori, what about one of Celestial Seasonings Herbal Tea? For example Raspberry Zinger contains no tea.
Ingredients:
Hibiscus, rosehips, roasted chicory, orange peel, blackberry leaves, natural raspberry flavor with other natural flavors (contains soy lecithin), raspberries and raspberry leaves.

I think most folks use tea bags to add tannins. If there are specific flavors you are looking to add this may be a good time to think about a joeswine style extract. Well... I suppose you could do a vodka extract of the tea bags and see how it turns out. You can also brew a batch let the bag set in the hot water way too long and see how tannic the tea is.

Lori, what about one of Celestial Seasonings Herbal Tea? For example Raspberry Zinger contains no tea.
Ingredients:
Hibiscus, rosehips, roasted chicory, orange peel, blackberry leaves, natural raspberry flavor with other natural flavors (contains soy lecithin), raspberries and raspberry leaves.

Dawg that's a good idea. I didn't know they didn't contain any actual tea.

I think most folks use tea bags to add tannins. If there are specific flavors you are looking to add this may be a good time to think about a joeswine style extract. Well... I suppose you could do a vodka extract of the tea bags and see how it turns out. You can also brew a batch let the bag set in the hot water way too long and see how tannic the tea is.

I did brew some and let it sit and it turned the water green so I don't think I will use the green tea. I added dried elderberry flowers to a white a while back ad I think it made it kind of yellow-er than it should have been. Maybe one of Joes extracts using blood oranges. But it will have to be for a future batch since it takes a few months to make.

Latest posts

Back