Adding extra concentrate to must - can I seal and re-use concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdahl

Junior
Reaction score
Had no idea how to title this question...

I enjoy making the reds from must, we have a decent supplier in Montreal. However, would love to increase the body and concentration in reds, especially Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and co.

I'm thinking of getting a a good kit (WE Eclipse seem well-rated) for the concentrate. Instead of making the kit, I would add 3 or 4 liters of the concentrate to the 23L of must.

Logically, this would increase the concentration significantly and shouldn't hinder fermentation. This reasoning is based on me thinking about it while drinking coffee.

Question 1: Has anyone tried this? Did it result in better concentration, body and structure?
Question 2: How would I go about conserving unused concentrate, while I wait to start another batch? Could I simply bottle it?

the added concentrate will only rise the specific gravity. although there can be an argument made that 14% wine has better mouthfeel than 12% wine. I think there may be better ways to increase body, oak for instance.

If you decide to use concentrate with your must, be sure to adjust acidity after adding the concentrate. In addition to increasing the brix, the kit concentrate will also increase your acidity.

Are you truly talking must which has the crushed grapes? Or are you talking juice pails with no skins? If it is Juice pails you could look at getting the All Skins packs from Mosti which would help with body / colour.

Latest posts

Back