Quantcast

Adding extra concentrate to must - can I seal and re-use concentrate?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

bdahl

Junior
Reaction score
Had no idea how to title this question...

I enjoy making the reds from must, we have a decent supplier in Montreal. However, would love to increase the body and concentration in reds, especially Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and co.

I'm thinking of getting a a good kit (WE Eclipse seem well-rated) for the concentrate. Instead of making the kit, I would add 3 or 4 liters of the concentrate to the 23L of must.

Logically, this would increase the concentration significantly and shouldn't hinder fermentation. This reasoning is based on me thinking about it while drinking coffee.

Question 1: Has anyone tried this? Did it result in better concentration, body and structure?
Question 2: How would I go about conserving unused concentrate, while I wait to start another batch? Could I simply bottle it?

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be less expensive to get concentrated juice from www.homewinery.com , I make their stuff all the time and it’s good. Their 1/2 gallon jug is supposed to make 5 gallons. I short it by 1/2 gallon and it’s very good

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and you can just freeze the unused concentrate

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
the added concentrate will only rise the specific gravity. although there can be an argument made that 14% wine has better mouthfeel than 12% wine. I think there may be better ways to increase body, oak for instance.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
If you decide to use concentrate with your must, be sure to adjust acidity after adding the concentrate. In addition to increasing the brix, the kit concentrate will also increase your acidity.

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
Are you truly talking must which has the crushed grapes? Or are you talking juice pails with no skins? If it is Juice pails you could look at getting the All Skins packs from Mosti which would help with body / colour.

Latest posts