Adding Everclear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkingsnorth

Reaction score
I would like to boost the alcohol level of my Black Currant batch before I bottle it. I saw someone mentioned adding everclear. I have a 6 gallon batch but I have 2 questions.

1. Does everclear add flavor?
2. how much should I add to a 6 gallon batch just to boost it?

If you're just looking to boost the Alcohol level, I would get the STRONGEST proof you can but again, use the Pearson's Square as it would be easy to add too much. I added 190 proof to a batch to a batch of Brunello it it turned out GREAT:d:d

I like adding everclear if you add distillers activated carbon and then add oak sticks to it as well

Is 375 ml too much to add to a 6 gallon batch? The alcohol level of the batch is very near non-alcoholic. It is one of those dessert wines. Orchard Breezin Black Currant.

Is 375 ml too much to add to a 6 gallon batch? The alcohol level of the batch is very near non-alcoholic. It is one of those dessert wines. Orchard Breezin Black Currant.

You have to determine alcohol % to brig it up 10% in 6 gallons take approx = approx 3 bottles of 750ml
there are 5 750 ml per gallon x 6 = 30 divided by 10 % is 3

it is used to get rid of the fusil oils due to distilling - it will make the everclars alot better !! then oak it !

Thanks Steve

Steve are you adding the activated carbon directly? It should go through several rinses first to remove any powder, right? Filtering cheap vodka through a Brita filter will also enhance that. I never heard of adding it directly to Everclear and I am interested in hearing more. I know with that high of alcohol you would melt the plastic of a Brita filter. I thought you would have to run the Everclear through the activated carbon.

Dan
You can add activated carbon (approx. 1/2 lb for 4 bottles of everclear or so ?)directly into a 1 gallon glass container and then adding your everclear to it. Gently shake it up every couple of days and definitely by week 2 - you will notice a difference. Pour it thru a coffee filter in order to remove any color due to the carbon.

You also can make a homemade filter using activated charcoal - using PVC pipe and coffee filters.

I have never tasted/smelled everclear. I just assumed it would be a clean due to it being a commercial product as opposed to back yard bubba.

For those that think they can buy the over the counter equipment to make their own everclear, be aware that like wine making, its an art to produce a good finished product. (stay away from Turbo's)

cheers

I added it right before bottling on a mixed berry. It boosted the abv but my god I could taste the harshn of the everclear. I’ll not use that again. Next time I’ll use mixed berry vodka or something like that

At which stage of the process do you add the everclear
just before bottling, it is just a brand name EVERCLEAR--PURE GRAIN ALCOHOL(PGA)-)))-( WHITE LIGHTING, HOME made version using a thump keg))))
I added it right before bottling on a mixed berry. It boo
I added it right before bottling on a mixed berry. It boosted the abv but my god I could taste the harshn of the everclear. I’ll not use that again. Next time I’ll use mixed berry vodka or something like that
only to my limited knowledge only pineapple and lemon will smooth it out, other wise either use less or just max out the K1V-1116 OR EC-1118
LOL yup i bet it curled your toes right after setting fire to your mouth, throat, stomach :d
Dawg

Back