adding dried elderberries to a must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winekit

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
i plan to add raisins, simmered very ripe banana (6) water,and dried elderberries to a kit wine.
How much dried elderberries for a 6 gal must would be enough?
jim

Hi all,
i plan to add raisins, simmered very ripe banana (6) water,and dried elderberries to a kit wine.
How much dried elderberries for a 6 gal must would be enough?
jim

A general rule for dried fruit is 1:4, dried-fresh. The average elderberry wine recipe, if there is such a thing, calls for 3# elderberries per gal.

This would be for a pure elderberry wine. Since you're adding to another wine, you'll have to SWAG it based on how up front you want the elderberry component to be.

Another option is to make a separate elderberry batch and blend it with the kit wine after their both finished.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Thanks for the input bobf, iadded 2oz that had been rehydrated in 1/2cup hot water,to 6 gal must of grand cru vieux chateau du roi.I had also added the liquid from 7 black ripe bananas (about 1/2 gal) that were simmered 1/2 hour and 1 box dark raisins soaked overnite in hot warer to cover. The must is almost at .998 after 12 days,i'll check again on the 3rd + 4th of march,before racking.
I chose to add 2oz of dried elderberries for a 6 gal must based on the 5oz for a 1 gal batch of elderberry wine.That would amount to 1/3 oz per gal,about where i think it would not be too overpowering.
winekit

I've seen recommended doses of 50 grams and 75 grams per 23 liters, so it looks like your 2 oz is about right. Good call.

Latest posts

Back