Adding dried apricots to primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocha

Reaction score
Hi making a sauv blanc and wanted to add dried apricots to primary but the label says there's potassium sorbate added as a preservative, will this prevent fermentation or is it so minuscule that it will not effect my fermentation?

cannot take the chance. if flavor addition is what you want ferment the wine wait until it is clear then add the apricot in the secondary. flavor enhancement will occur plus you get the added benefit of tasting as it progresses to the point you desire.

cannot take the chance. if flavor addition is what you want ferment the wine wait until it is clear then add the apricot in the secondary. flavor enhancement will occur plus you get the added benefit of tasting as it progresses to the point you desire.
Good idea, I put the peaches in and will put some grapefruit zest just 1 teaspoon, the apricots in the secondary is a better idea, thank you

either buy fresh apricots or don't use them. If you use peaches don't use the grapefruit zest. Place the peaches in the primary. Sautéed down.

Sorry it took me so long to update, I did put the peaches in the primary and apricots in secondary after a few weeks, a couple of rackings later I cleared and bottled. Beautiful clarity and color but the taste was flat after all that, theres plenty of stone fruit on the nose, I feel that it lacks acidity, any suggestions for now or the future?
I've got a little bit of spare time, and about 20 bottles left since I've tried some along the way, should I unbottle and add something then rebottle? Is that a thing? I'd hate to lose it since it's my first tweak other than extra sugar in the primary, and I told everyone I was making this awesome peach wine and everyone has been asking for some and i tuck my tail between my legs and run away!!!! Feeling deflated!

Try sweetening the wine slightly. The fruit flavours require a bit of sweetness to come out. If you still feel it is flat then try adding some acid,

Sometimes the fruit we use has a structure of it's own , dried apricots have just that effect , unless you Hydrate them then slow cooked them down to release their natural sugars ,they will at a dryness or even a tartness to the finish.
Try backsweeting to taste a little bit at a time.

Latest posts

Back