Adding color to wine made from grape juice with grape skin powder.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitz

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first in this forum, and i hope we cooperate together.

I am now making a red wine batch, from Ceres grape juice. what i noticed that the grape juice color is very light(see picture below), and after fermenting and fining i am sure it will become lighter.
i did some researches and i found out that adding grape skin powder will improve it and add color to it.
Anyone tried it before? and if yes can you tell us when and how to add the powder.

Thanks.

Attachments

• dsdsd.JPG
    dsdsd.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 14
  • dsdsdsdsdd.JPG
    dsdsdsdsdd.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 16
I am now making a red wine batch, from Ceres grape juice. what i noticed that the grape juice color is very light(see picture below), and after fermenting and fining i am sure it will become lighter.
i did some researches and i found out that adding grape skin powder will improve it and add color to it.
Anyone tried it before? and if yes can you tell us when and how to add the powder.

Where are you in the wine making process? Just planning, already fermenting... ?

I would buy a can of concentrate and add some of it to your batch. Petit Syrah is very dark. You can get this from any wine/brew hobby shop or online.

Now it is in the 3rd day of primary fermentation.
Actually i live in the middle east and there is no brewing shops here, so i need to use something available in the groceries.And i think i can find dark grape juice concentrate with other names.
But adding a can of concentrate won't that make it sweeter ? I have already added sugar to the juice and as i mentioned now it is in the day 3 of fermentation.
Is it possible to add grape skin powder while fermenting? or after?

Thank you for replying

it has been many years go but you can add the grape powder after fermentation and once the wine is clear. if no instructions do bench trials on a sample of the wine adding incremental amounts until you get the color you desire then calculate the amount for the main batch.

Now it is in the 3rd day of primary fermentation.
Actually i live in the middle east and there is no brewing shops here, so i need to use something available in the groceries.And i think i can find dark grape juice concentrate with other names.
But adding a can of concentrate won't that make it sweeter ? I have already added sugar to the juice and as i mentioned now it is in the day 3 of fermentation.
Is it possible to add grape skin powder while fermenting? or after?

Thank you for replying

Ah, the mideast...
Can you get frozen grape concentrate from the grocery store? If you are still fermenting, the sugar is not a problem. You won't need to use much concentrate to boost the color. A couple ounces per gallon will make a big difference.

Thank you guys for your replies.
will the grape skin extract dissolve in the wine or should i put it in some sort of filter?
and for finning is gelatin a good choice for red wine??? because i used it in wine before and i got a very cloudy wine, maybe because i added the gelatin a little bit cold.
is gelatin a good choice for wine finning? and what is the best way to use it?

Thank you in advance guys and i appreciate your help.

will the grape skin extract dissolve in the wine or should i put it in some sort of filter?
The grape skin extract comes in liquid form. It is an Italian product, not the Mega Purple stuff that most commercial wineries use here in the States and has no residual sugar. You can add it straight to wine and mix it in. It is stable and very little of it drops out to the bottom of the storage vessel. The only problem with it is that it contains sorbate and should not be used in wine that went through malolactic fermentation, but that's not a concern if you're making wine from frozen concentrate. Depending on your location and import/export regulations in your country, you may be able to get it from somewhere else, or just get creative with food coloring. A little bit of food grade glycerin or gum arabic before bottling will also enhance the wine.

is gelatin a good choice for wine finning? and what is the best way to use it?
The short answer is: it depends. Gelatin removes bitter tannins from wine and it's used primarily for wine made from fresh grapes. I don't see why it would be needed for wine made from concentrate. A lot of home winemakers use this product: Super Kleer Liquid but I don't know if you can get it there. I would say that given enough time, your wine would clear up on its own. It will take a few months and a few rackings, but you don't have to add anything to it.

Latest posts

Back