Adding Coffee to Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
Zinfandel with a hint of coffee... amazing.
So it was the end of the night Saturday and I noticed I had a little old vine Zinfandel left in a bottle. I grabbed the first cup in front of it and poured in. It was my coffee cup from the morning with a little coffee left. Not knowing coffee was in there I took a sip and was amazed at how good it tasted. (Long day of some good dark beers, Hanging out at Short’s brewing,etc..🙂. )
I love coffee and I love Zinfandel so now I am thinking about ways to add some coffee flavors to some of the reds I am bulk aging.
Has anyone done this before? I am thinking about doing some trials with beans, grounds or even coffee it self.
I have not found any posts on it yet.

Look for a thread on this forum ( when good wines gone bad) or any of my other threads you'll find a coffee port using instant coffee as an enhancer.

I use fine grind dark roast coffee in the primary for my coffee port, turn out wonderful especially after aging, the ground coffee seems to add tannins as well as coffee notes.

I over oaked the heck out of a Cab Franc with French oak and got a ton of coffee notes in the wine.
Hmm. Not a red wine but several years ago I had a citrus wine from Florida "Midnight Sun". It is an orange wine with STRONG coffee notes but clear and yellow color. I've been trying to decide how they managed the coffee notes. I want to try my hand but can't decide whether coffee beans in primary, during aging or now did they oak it? Adding ground coffee or coffee extract might discolor the wine.

I guess I should bite the bullet and experiment.

Hmm. Not a red wine but several years ago I had a citrus wine from Florida "Midnight Sun". It is an orange wine with STRONG coffee notes but clear and yellow color. I've been trying to decide how they managed the coffee notes. I want to try my hand but can't decide whether coffee beans in primary, during aging or now did they oak it? Adding ground coffee or coffee extract might discolor the wine.

I guess I should bite the bullet and experiment.
A quick google search.

French Oak Flavor Summary
• All toast levels have a perceived aromatic sweetness and full mouthfeel.

• French oak has a fruity, cinnamon/allspice character, along with custard/ crème brûlée, milk chocolate and campfire/ roasted coffee notes*. (*Especially at higher toast levels.)

Latest posts

Back