ADDING CHOCOLATE TO FRUIT WINES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
All this talk about Chocolate Ports has got me drooling...

Wade... Awhile back you added some Cocoa powder to a strawberry wine....I think you made it into a Port.
How is it doing now with some time on it????
smiley25.gif

I want to make a dry Raspberry/Red Grape wine and add Cocoa powder to a gallon of it to try. We are not fond of sweet wines, so, want it to finish dry.

I think you said ½ cup of cocoa powder per gallon.....
Is that correct???
smiley25.gif

I can't remember, but I think you added it to the primary...
Is that correct????
smiley25.gif

Just the thought of this makes my mouth water...
Sometime this winter going to have to try a gallon just for grins....
smiley4.gif

It is a 1/2 cup but think next time I would add a tad more and yes it goes into primary stirring it in well while adding slowly.

I did a batch just as you state there NW,with some of the wild grapes.I think it may be balanced fairly well. I did add some Cream De Cacao after fermentation, and fortified with half a bottle of Raspberry Vodka. Initial taste have me thinkin' it may just turn into something! Not real fond of sweet wines myself, but did back sweeten a tad, seemed to balance the flavor and high ABV, but I too would of added a little more cocoa powder, the raspberry may just overpower the chocolate flavor a littletoo much.Good luck on yours!
smiley20.gif

If you don't want to add the chocolate in the primary. Try using pure chocolate extract or let it age on some cocoa nibs. I made an Orange Chocolate Port and added 1 cup per gallon. We had a small sip at bottling and it was pretty good and we plan to open a bottle Christmas Eve. Warning if you add that much be prepared for a LOT of fall out.
VPC

Latest posts

Back