Adding Chocolate to finished wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, Would you recommend adding chocolate will aging? Or only during the secondary fermentation process?

You can add during aging, just remember you will need to rack a couple of times before bottling.

Julie, Dan, thank you very much, just curious though, why would I have to rack several times after adding chocolate during the aging process?

Thank you Dan for your reply, my red wine is now aging, I am looking forward to trying it. Sorry for the late reply! But thanks again!

bumping this one up. i made julie's candy cane wine in january and added chocolate in march. I just tried it last night and was alittle disappointed. the peppermint came out beautifully but i was hoping for alittle more chocolate taste to come through at the end. any recommendations for how to enhance this??

You could add more chocolate. How much did you put in it and for how long. What size batch.

I have always found I added too much chocolate. I did not want to taste it right away up front but wanted to taste it as a secondary taste.

Chocolate extract. Not the crap from the grocery store but good high quality extract. I believe I paid $3.00 a bottle and they were very tiny bottles.

I added a few to my choc. choke cherry wine. Had a light choc. taste but good.

Can't recall the extract brand though. Search the Internet.

I decided one day to try putting chocolate in a Malbec so I bought a chocolate bar and opened a bottle. then I put chocolate pieces in the bottle and re corked it and let it sit for a month.
Have not tried this one yet.

However I found these chocolates at a vintage candy store that were dark chocolate with cayenne pepper in little round balls.I decided why not try this also.
opened a bottle put in the pieces and re corked.

this was very good after a month.... Malbec with a dark rich chocolate after effect and you could catch the earth pepper smell on the back end just slightly.

I didn't rack off the pieces before hand. the 3rd and 4th glasses has nice little pieces of alcoholic candy chocolate in the glass lol

images

i used two bags of ghiardelli? choc chips to a 5 gallon batch of peppermint wine. I'll look into adding more chocolate or extract. question is...how much.. thanks

I'm looking to add chocolate to my black raspberry wine that is already done - just hanging out in a gallon jug. Can I just add dark or semi-sweet according to the posts above and keep racking it/stirring it? How did everybody's wine turn out? I see the above posts are a couple of years old.
thanks!

Barb did you ever add the choc to your wine I have some cherry I was wondering if I could add choc to.

Barb did you ever add the choc to your wine I have some cherry I was wondering if I could add choc to.

I added a piece of really good chocolate to one bottle - haven't drank it yet. We put some in a glass and tasted it all darned day. YUM! I will probably make the wine cloudy, but I don't know yet. Some put cocoa powder in at the beginning. I really don't know how to do it right.

Get a chocolate that is at least, 65% cocoa, Something like Lindts, add it for 6 weeks and taste, keep it in longer if the chocolate taste isn't where you want it to be.

I bought Lindt 70% smooth and 85% extra dark. Both 3.5 oz bars I thought I would try both for two different bottles. I'm going to do this in a wine bottle. How much of the choc should I use for one bottle?

I added two squares to one bottle of finished cherry wine topped with bung and airlock. It seems to be bubbling now. Is it fermenting again or co2? What to do?

Latest posts

Back