Adding chocolate to elserberry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckvchestnut

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the above... I thought it would be nice to add chocolate to my big red elderberry at least one of the batches to see what it can do to modify the flavor at all. I saw on the pure elderberry thread that mountaineerjack is the elderberry expert. Do any of you have advice on what it might come out like? I will say that I love the elderberry taste to begin with. But I have an itching curiosity to impart a chocolate or mocha flavor/aroma to this wine.

I bought some 100% pure dark unsweetened Belgian chocolate. How much would I add to a 5 gallon batch?

Has anyone tried the red velvet wine by cupcake wineries in California? I don't know if it's just my taste buds but I get that blackberry mocha flavor or something like that on the finish of that wine and would sure like to somewhat replicate it... I'm hopelessly addicted to this type of flavor. Possibly I could also add some coffee beans?

My wine has been In the secondary for just a few weeks. What about the adding of coconut or coconut extract? I just looked on their site they say it finishes with coconut - I never detected it while tasting it but now I'll have to try it again and see if I can taste any influence of it in there. Perhaps it so subtle that it just helps give that soft or smooth mouthfeel.

Any suggestions would be welcome! I was going to try oaking but now not sure!

Oops sorry about the typo in the heading tried to change it but don't know how.

Probably the easiest method to try and not ruin the entire batch is a bench trial. I would start with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. Yes the stuff you make chocolate milk with. Take a liter or even less of elderberry wine, just make sure you know the amount. Add 1/2 tsp of chocolate stir very well and taste. not enough chocolate add another 1/2 tsp, stir, continue until you think you have the flavor you want. Put chocolate flavored wine in a closed container, chocolate will drop to bottom stir up every day, taste again after 5 days , if what you want do math for larger batch. once bottled will need to shake bottle before serving.
I have done this with a raspberry wine and cherry wine with great results. Used to sell the raspberry wine when I had a commercial winery. all that is required is some patience.

If you want to add another additive do bench trial again it keeps from ruining the entire batch. A bench trial can last for a month or more if you want to see long term affects.

Thank you so much Sal! I'll try that as maybe chocolate won't even go with elderberry! So better safe than sorry with doing a smaller bench test. I appreciate the advice!

Latest posts

Back