Adding Campden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a 1 gal mixed berry wine based on a recipe from Jack Keller's website. I added 1 campden tablet when I mixed it up. After fermenting for about 10 days I transfered to a glass jug to secondary. Alot of lees settled out in the secondary so after 3 weeks I transfered to a new glass jug and topped up with water.
My question is should I add more campden tablets at this time and if so how do I add them? I plan on letting the wine sit for a couple months or more before bottling.

Thanks for your help.

Craig

You should add it the same as you did the initial. Crush it up and mix it in a little water to dissolve it. When you rack add it to the wine as it is racking.

Well I didn't add it that way initially. Instead I mixed it with the juice and berries before fermentation. And I have already racked the wine.
But it sounds like I should add some more sulfite at this time, so I am going to remove a little wine from the fermenter, mix one campden tablet with the wine and add it back in. I have it topped up to within an inch of the stopper so I don't have room for any more liquid.
Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks
Craig

It would of been best to add it when you racked so it will mix in better but it would be better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back