Adding body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can tannin be added at bottling time?

Most tannin products recommend a minimum bulk aging time before bottling, usually in the 3 to 6 week range, though there may be a few specific products that can be used closer to bottling. When tannin is added there are several reactions that take place over time, this often causes a precipitate that will fall out and it's probably better for this to happen in bulk rather than in bottle.

Most tannin products recommend a minimum bulk aging time before bottling, usually in the 3 to 6 week range, though there may be a few specific products that can be used closer to bottling. When tannin is added there are several reactions that take place over time, this often causes a precipitate that will fall out and it's probably better for this to happen in bulk rather than in bottle.

That was my gut feeling. The wine has been in bulk for almost 6 months.

About adding tannin. I racked the wine three times and it's pretty clear. Is there a need to rack again before adding the tannin? My concern is possibly disturbing any sediment that might still be in the carboy when I stir in the tannin. Or, doesn't it matter at this time since I will be leaving it for another six weeks anyway. And finally, should the tannin be dissolved in a bit of wine before added?

Thanks

Or, doesn't it matter at this time since I will be leaving it for another six weeks anyway.
That is my feeling. It doesn't matter too much, as it will settle out again pretty quickly.

And finally, should the tannin be dissolved in a bit of wine before added?

Yes, that would be best.

I agree with sour above, and would add that stirring the lees with the tannin addition may help increase the body. On the other hand I wouldn't recommend stirring the lees on a red wine less than 4 months old, as this can result in a loss of color, but you're past that stage.

There's nothing wrong with racking a young red wine, the object is getting the wine to settle quickly and moving the wine off of the lees initially. The color in a young red wine is monomeric and unstable until it reacts and becomes polymeric pigment, this happens over time during the first 4 months or so, though it is variable to some extent depending on storage conditions. Suspended lees can attack monomeric color by adsorption as well as enzymatic degradation. It's all a compromise as there may be times when stirring is needed or desired, so I wouldn't change established good procedures, I was just trying to point out don't be excessive with the stirring on a young red. Once the color is polymeric, stirring the lees is back on the table if desired.

There's nothing wrong with racking a young red wine, the object is getting the wine to settle quickly and moving the wine off of the lees initially. The color in a young red wine is monomeric and unstable until it reacts and becomes polymeric pigment, this happens over time during the first 4 months or so, though it is variable to some extent depending on storage conditions. Suspended lees can attack monomeric color by adsorption as well as enzymatic degradation. It's all a compromise as there may be times when stirring is needed or desired, so I wouldn't change established good procedures, I was just trying to point out don't be excessive with the stirring on a young red. Once the color is polymeric, stirring the lees is back on the table if desired.

I am assuming this theory would not apply to white.

No long elaboration is needed, white wine doesn't have a significant amount of color and the associated reactions.

Back