Adding body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Grenache made from a 6 gallon bucket of juice that is 5 months in bulk conditioning. The taste is coming along but lacks some body. Is there anything I can do to add body?

I have a Grenache made from a 6 gallon bucket of juice that is 5 months in bulk conditioning. The taste is coming along but lacks some body. Is there anything I can do to add body?

Not too much to add body which pretty much comes during the ferment. But there are some things to do to add some complexity which could sorta mask or make up for some of the lacking body. Add an oak spiral for a few months or check out some different finishing tannins out there.
With a Grenache id normally shoot for a medium French spiral. But maybe even heavy or even an American to spice it up. Just make sure not to overdo whatever ya decide- easily done with finishing tannin

Yea, I looked it up online... "Full-bodied wines are big and powerful" ...... "Wines Under 12.5% alcohol are said to light-bodied. ... Some wines that are normally over this alcohol level and considered full-bodied"
Kinda hard to grasp big and powerful, unless it just means a strong flavor of the fruit or grape it was made from.

"buy more carboys, make more wine, overwhelm yourself to the point where your wine ages just because you don't have time to bottle." That's what I'm up to...

Yea, I looked it up online... "Full-bodied wines are big and powerful" ...... "Wines Under 12.5% alcohol are said to light-bodied. ... Some wines that are normally over this alcohol level and considered full-bodied"
Kinda hard to grasp big and powerful, unless it just means a strong flavor of the fruit or grape it was made from.

"buy more carboys, make more wine, overwhelm yourself to the point where your wine ages just because you don't have time to bottle." That's what I'm up to...

I believe this has an alcohol content of 12.5%.

Body is mouthfeel. - ie the difference between whole milk, 2%, and skimmmed.

Jbo

This, I can understand. I don't have much wine experience outside of Boone's Farm and my homemade wines. Yesterday I bought some 4l bottles of Carlos Rossi, 1 merlot and 1 sangria. I find the merlot to be flat with no body. The sangria seems a little twangy like it is 5-10% muscadine. Neither have the mouth feel of my homemade strawberry-blackberry, it feels like it is oily (also16% ABV). So is that full bodied wine?

In my opinion my feel is the overall structure of the wine it's contents , including the grapes type , or juice density the tannin used yeast.the overall construction of the wine and it's components become in the end the mouthfeel.
It can be thin , med or full bodied that's the structure that's it's makeup and it's mouthfeel.

It's actually quite incorrect.

Yeah. He probably should have said “best analogy EVER!” [emoji3]

How are you gonna make a statement like that without backing it up with a reason?

I’m thinking your hung up on the mouthfeel thing judging from previous reply. But The analogy was for the wine’s body not mouthfeel

Isn't how the wine is constructed and the components that went into it the end result on how it feels on your taste buds and the net result on how it's was put together , product to finish.

I always thought "Body" was the mouthfeel and the legs on the side of the glass. I like that in my wines. I try to build it by using skins, tannins, and oak. I have been experimenting with tiny additions of glycerin before bottling.
Curious what level, , I put 4 tsp glycerin in this years dandelion for body, like the wine legs but can’t taste a difference.

I put banana peels in the carboy after transferring it from bucket.

Latest posts

Back