RJ Spagnols Adding additional KMeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
Have the RJS Winery Super Tuscan and CC Red Mountain Cab in carboys for aging - well kind of - I leave them in carboy for about an additional 3 months before bottling. All of my previous kits have been WE's and they call for an additional 1/4tsp KMeta when placed in carboy prior to bottling if planning on storing over 6 months.

I did the same with both of these kits as well, and am wondering if this was a mistake (guess I should have asked sooner). Is this a problem, neither of these kits state to add in the instructions. Do these kits have more KMeta in the juice?

I do leave my reds in the bottle for at least a year before opening. Thanks

Without sulfite testing equipment (Vinmetrica, A/O, etc.) sulfiting is a guesstimate. The amount to be added is also pH dependent. In the absence of testing the usual recomendation is 1/4 tsp./6 gallons every 3-6 months. A red wine won't consume as much as a white wine, so for a Super Tuscan I think you'd be okay every 6 months unless racked or airlock removed. Racking and any other exposure to air will consume more, so I would try to time additions with racking. Try to time bottling with a needed sulfite addition. I think without testing this about the best you can expect.

One dose o k-meta won't hurt and shouldn't be noticeable with the big reds. If you want to be on the safe side, try the wine before you bottle it or just have them sit in bulk for another 6 weeks.

Tony P.

Thanks, I feel better. I wanted to make sure that these were protected as I plan on leaving them for at least a year before putting them into drinking rotation. But I do have to say, tasting both at transfer sure was a treat. Compared to other kits, these really show great potential and I'm sure will be wonderful with some age.

Adding that extra Kmeta should not be a problem for you. Before I purchased my free SO2 testing equipment, I always did the same thing. This is especially good since you let the wine age at least a year in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back