Adding acid during aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Beck

Reaction score
I have a cab franc aging right now that’s missing some of the more bright flavors and is a bit pyrazine heavy. I was thinking about adding some acid blend to help it balance. Is it a bad idea to do this after fermentation? If not, how would I go about it - do I just add the acid powder in, or do I need to mix with water or something first?

thanks for the help.

I have a cab franc aging right now that’s missing some of the more bright flavors and is a bit pyrazine heavy. I was thinking about adding some acid blend to help it balance. Is it a bad idea to do this after fermentation? If not, how would I go about it - do I just add the acid powder in, or do I need to mix with water or something first?

thanks for the help.

First, you’ll need to get your hands on some tartaric acid, which is what you should use for grape wines. Then figure out if it’s really going to make your wine improve by doing bench / tasting trials. I like to dissolve acid powder into a beaker of wine, then add it back to the larger vessel, stirring well in the process.

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf this is a manual from the More Wine web site. one of the chapters has a detailed method for acid bench trials.

^^^^^ Adam, this manual is top notch. I call it my Wine Bible. Even printed it out and put in a binder to reference easily.

Can’t say enough positive things about it. It’s thoroughly detailed in every step along the way. And unlike others, this not only explains ‘what’ to do, but also ‘why’ you’re doing it.

^^^^^ Adam, this manual is top notch. I call it my Wine Bible. Even printed it out and put in a binder to reference easily.

Can’t say enough positive things about it. It’s thoroughly detailed in every step along the way. And unlike others, this not only explains ‘what’ to do, but also ‘why’ you’re doing it.

Agree 100%. I have a printed copy bound with a binder clip and hanging in the winery.

Latest posts

Back