Added wrong yeast to niagara

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomhero

Reaction score
I picked up the first batch of juice/grapes yesterday from fallbright here in new york.

I added extra sugar to make a dessert style with it.

When i added the yeast to the Niagara i put in the d80 which was intended for a red wine that ill be getting at a later date.

Just wondering what will happen, i know itll ferment but does adding a red wine yeast change anything?

Technically yes but as far as you probably concerned no. Yeasts have a specific characteristics. Some reduce acid, some low foaming, or slow fermentation, tough fermentations and keep more flavor.

Keep an eye on it to be sure it starts.

Yea I kinda fingured that....the starting sg is at 1.135 so I made a starter for the yeast last night and it is starting to show activity now.

Just made me mad that I didnt double check before putting the wrong yeast in haha.

Yea I kinda fingured that....the starting sg is at 1.135 so I made a starter for the yeast last night and it is starting to show activity now.

Just made me mad that I didnt double check before putting the wrong yeast in haha.

From what I read d80 gives up at about 16% alcohol. With your high starting SG it will probably quit while it is still rather sweet, which it sounds like is what you were after. So you may end up with a high abv sweet wine.

Yea that will be fine, im not much of a sweet drinker but it sounded good to me when i went to pick up the vignoles.

I had a diaper party for me earlier yesterday so by the time i got home from the bar I wasnt thinking the greatest haha, so this morning I realized what I had done and got quite mad at myself ha!

Latest posts

Back