added too much sorbate!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
In the process of back sweetening, I used five 1/2 TBS instead of five 1/2 tsp to five gallons of blueberry wine. So, essentially 3 times the proper dose.

1) will this ever dissipate over time?
2) other than blending it in with 2 more batches of BB wine, is there another way to fix it?

oh my, that's a whole bunch. I bet you might have a bubble gum taste in your wine. It won't dissipate over time. blending with two more batches of BB wine is probably the only way to fix it.

Thanks! I was afraid of that. I guess that's what I get for using measuring spoons without wearing my glasses.

It's good to be extra paranoid when adding anything to the wine. I have numerous bags of white powder in the one drawer, so I double-check the label each time I open them. I visualize adding 3 tsp OneStep instead of 3 tsp acid blend, it makes my paranoia less crazy.

I have the advantage that if I don't have my glasses on, I can't even find the bag ....

I would try bench trials to get the right blend
Thanks for the advice. I guess I don't understand. I mean I understand what a bench trial is, but if I am just trying to spread the extra sorbate out into a total volume of 15 gallons of blueberry, I don't think I would have a lot of choices in a bench trial. I do have 10 gallons of un-sorbated similar blueberry What would I be testing for?

the sorbate probably has a taste component much like bubble gum. the bench trial is run to find the blend that would eliminate the taste affect of the sorbate.

Certainly just mixing the two is an option but what if the taste is still there , just ruined some more wine. also may not require a whole batch just some so you could still have some un-sorbate wine. just a more conservative approach

Ahhh... now I see.

So does that mean the bubblegum flavor is the only problem with having too much sorbate?

Yes, it is mainly about the flavor. Have you tasted the wine? It may be ok.

You want to make sure you maintain your SO2 levels so MLF does not spontaneously occur. The ML bacteria could turn your sorbate into geraniol. That would produce a geranium taste and smell that will ruin your wine.

According to a medical site, high amounts of sorbate can cause an allergic reaction in small segment of the population. No figures were provided as to how much is too much. I've never heard of anyone having a reaction, other than taste, so this may be a minor concern.

What does the wine taste like? If it doesn't taste off, the worry is not necessary.

OTOH, this provides you with a solid reason for making 2 more batches of Blueberry wine.

OK, so i hadn't tasted the wine since the overdose, but I have now and it's petty darn good blueberry wine. No bubble gum flavor that I, or my wife, could discern.

I suppose I should taste it again after some time to be sure, but I'm feeling better about this now.

I really appreciate the help I get here.

That's a great outcome! However, even if it's not needed today, this is a valuable conversation as it gives people understanding of how to handle a sorbate overdoses. And better yet, a reason to be extra careful.

I suggest you bulk age the wine for a couple more months. If the wine does exhibit an off-flavor, it's easier (and far less irritating) to address it in the carboy than it is to unbottle 25 bottles.

I suggest you bulk age the wine for a couple more months. If the wine does exhibit an off-flavor, it's easier (and far less irritating) to address it in the carboy than it is to unbottle 25 bottles.

Yeah, luckily I have 10 gallons of blueberry that are just a bit younger than this batch so I can wait with them all and bottle together - or separately - in time as needed.

@reeflections, what is your time frame for bottling the younger batches? While it's not (at this time) necessary to homogenize the 3 batches, the combine batches will have the correct amount of sorbate, so it may make sense to combine them.

Yeah, we're coming full circle on this topic. Although my suggestion here is a "maybe" not a "must do".

As suggested, bench test with equal amounts of each to ensure the combination tastes good, and if so, go with it.

EDIT: Fixed grammar, even I wasn't sure what I meant!

Last edited:
Not sure on this, need the others to chime in with me on this. After a time, the sorbate quits working. It takes care of the yeast that are in there then looses its effectiveness. Anyway, if you add new yeast to the batch as in the other carboys, the sorbate you have will not take care of the new yeast. Think I have read about this on here, not had the experience. Arne.

It's a matter of timing, as sorbate does degrade with time. If the time frame for blending is a month or three, I expect it's fine.

An easy way to check is to blend equal samples from all 3 and put under an airlock. If fermentation doesn't restart within a couple of weeks, it's most likely safe.

Not sure on this, need the others to chime in with me on this. After a time, the sorbate quits working. It takes care of the yeast that are in there then looses its effectiveness. Anyway, if you add new yeast to the batch as in the other carboys, the sorbate you have will not take care of the new yeast. Think I have read about this on here, not had the experience. Arne.

Good point!

It's a matter of timing, as sorbate does degrade with time. If the time frame for blending is a month or three, I expect it's fine.

An easy way to check is to blend equal samples from all 3 and put under an airlock. If fermentation doesn't restart within a couple of weeks, it's most likely safe.

Thanks! I will do this if I decide blending is needed. I'm hoping the flavor remains good and I won't have to blend because all three blueberry wines are different recipes and I would really like to bottle them separately if I can.

Thanks! I was afraid of that. I guess that's what I get for using measuring spoons without wearing
i had just bought 5 sets of reading glasses for my wine room, for real, i got several reading glasses and ink pens on kitchen table, coffee table, night stand, now wine room, and willing to bet $50 ,, I'll be hunting one of the two before very long, them things gotta be able to either fly or walk,
Dawg

Back