Added the wrong bag first

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit more paranoid. I would rather not over-sweeten an entire batch, so I take an 80 ml (1/3 cup) sample. Every 1/4 tsp sugar added is equivalent to 1/4 cup per gallon. Get it how you like it, then subtract 10 to 25% to account for the changes as it spends time in the carboy/bottle. You can always make it sweeter, but it's more complicated to unsweeten it.
yep i did at one time, but after i learned what i liked, the rest was downhill from there,,,
Dawg

You can always make it sweeter, but it's more complicated to unsweeten it.
Especially if sorbate has been added! ;)

TBH, I use sugar syrup only when making liqueurs. For sweetening wine, I use dry table sugar and a powered stirring rod like @hounddawg. I recommend sugar syrup for beginners as it dissolves much better. When adding dry sugar, do it in a thin stream and don't hurry about adding it.

So now the wine is at 0.992. I believe its ready. It tastes good but a little dry. If we cyphon it to another carboy, with no sediment, is thatbwhen we would add sugar? Do I is like a simple syrup?
Thank you for posting these questions. I logged on this morning and did a search for these exact Q & A and you've posted. This helps me as I read the replies. Thank you again.

0.992 is definitely dry. Like most fruit wines it will benefit from a bit of sugar. I normally backsweeten just before bottling. If it's a 4 week kit you can bottle now, but I suggest racking off the sediment and letting it set another 2 to 4 weeks, to ensure it's clear. Then backsweeten and bottle.

To make sugar syrup, boil 1 part water, stir in 2 parts sugar until it's clear. Let cool to room temperature.

There are several schools of thought on sweetening, this is the one I use: Rack the wine into a primary fermenter. Add sugar in small increments, stirring well and tasting after each addition. When you think it needs just a bit more -- stop.

How much sugar to use depends on personal preference. I prefer less sweet so I make 1 cup syrup (1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar) and use 1/4 cup increments in 5/6 gallons. If you like sweeter, make 2 cups syrup and use 1/2 cup increments.

@hounddawg, how much syrup do you make for sweetening 5 gallons?

Dawg's taste are on the other end of the scale and he can better advise if you want your wine sweeter.
Thank you for your reply to the OPs questions. My search led me to this post as I have the exact same questions. You've helped me a lot. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Back