Other Added Potasium Sorbate before degassing by accident

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLjones

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a red blend kit from California connoisseur. I opened and poured the Potassium Sorbate into the wine before degassing by accident. I have since added the Potassium Metbisulphate and the Kieselsol and whipped the wine. Will the Potassium Sorbate keep it from clearing and degassing properly?

I should add that fermentation had stopped completely before I added the Potassium Sorbate.

Should be no problem. You would know immediately if there was an issue as the CO2 would push up the sorbate in clumps to the top. Will you be backsweetening? What was your ending SG? As long as it went dry and you are not backsweetening then there is truly no issue.

Only risk is that you don't want to add sorbates until you get some Sulfites in the wine or you run the risk of creating geranium off flavors. Note this is just a risk - as it does not happen all the time (depends on which specific microrganisms are in the wine at the time), but it can happen.

To eliminate the risk, add sulfites first, then add the sorbates several hours later. Alternately just skip the sorbates entirely if you are not backsweetening or adding a F-pack.

Latest posts

Back