Add Your Backyard Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, posting here to introduce myself and my new vineyard.

I’m new here and new to growing grapes. We are in central Vancouver Island. Wet winters and some heat in summer. We planted 25 Merlot 181 on 3309 rootstock last year. We didn’t get them into the ground until late may. Pandemic interference. We got some growth last year, generally not quite to the first wire. Things look ok this year but a few are looking stressed. Browned leaves, looks like frost damage but we didn’t get a frost after budding. We haven’t sprayed yet but are getting ready too. Neem oil seems to be a good choice of general maintenance spray. Do I have that right?

Hope we can get to the top wire this year.

Dan

Welcome aboard. Along with Neem, you may want to consider adding Serenade to the mix, if your intent is to stay 'organic'. Just remember to spray often for these to have a degree of effect. I'm not sure what the pest or fungus pressure is there, but I'll keep an eye out to help if I can.

Thanks for input. Is Serenade a sulphur spray? By frequent, do you mean weekly or monthly? I do not know the pest or fungus pressure here either. Generally not a wine growing area.

Serenade is a biological fungicide. Frequent meaning weekly. Neem is not extremely effective for a wide range of issues. As an insecticide, it seems to act more as a deterrent, so regular application is important. And Serenade works over time, so I would consider adding it to every 2nd or 3rd Neem spraying. Just for background, I started out trying to stay away from many chemicals. My vines did ok the first season, but the second season was not good. I started showing signs of pest pressure (like Phylloxera), but then the Japanese Beetles came in by the bus load in one day. Add to that Downy mildew, Anthracnose, Powdery mildew, and Phomopsis. I knew I had to up my game or else give up the idea. BTW, the JBs seem to like Neem as a salad dressing. It is effective for some pests like aphids. I rely a lot of chemicals these days like mancozeb, Immunox, Captan, copper, and Garden Tech Sevin (insecticide). I also use Serenade and Neem as part of my spray schedule.

I would like to point out that all of this was developed over time to address issues in my growing area (Southern Ohio) and may not be applicable for your area. I would check around and see if any one else has a vineyard in your region and reach out to them. I've also included a paper from Michigan State for your reading enjoyment. Good luck.

Attachments

• Michigan State paper.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 11
Hi all, posting here to introduce myself and my new vineyard.

I’m new here and new to growing grapes. We are in central Vancouver Island. Wet winters and some heat in summer. We planted 25 Merlot 181 on 3309 rootstock last year. We didn’t get them into the ground until late may. Pandemic interference. We got some growth last year, generally not quite to the first wire. Things look ok this year but a few are looking stressed. Browned leaves, looks like frost damage but we didn’t get a frost after budding. We haven’t sprayed yet but are getting ready too. Neem oil seems to be a good choice of general maintenance spray. Do I have that right?

Hope we can get to the top wire this year.

Dan
I found this. Don’t Have Neem Oil To Prevent Pests In Your Organic Garden: Use THIS Instead

I found a sulphur dust fungicide that claims to control powdery mildew, rust, black spot, scab and mites. Also bought some nematode terranum which hunts and kills Japanese beetle larvae and other beetle types. Might help. I’ll spray the grapes and apples on Saturday and see what happens.

Another question if I may. What is the difference between sulphur spray and sulphur-lime spray?

Sulfur-lime should be used only during dormancy as the lime will burn the leaves.

Sulfur-lime can be used with in a vineyard on leaves with the caveat that it be sprayed on tolerant varieties, on a cool morning or evening, and only when the daily temps do not exceed 80°F (27°C). So cooler wine making regions can use it especially in spring and fall as more than simply a dormant spray.

Last edited:
looks like a very productive site, full sun?
Yes my vineyard has full sun. It is situated on level ground with no slope but good old Minnesota former farm field black dirt. The grape vines seem to love it IF we get enough moisture during the growing season as I have no water source near the plot unless I haul water. Most of the vines are now 9-10 years old and producing nicely, so I am looking forward to a good harvest this year.

Do you get much herbicide drift being that close to row crops?
Late response!

No damage yet. They spray carefully, but it is a concern.

Biggest issues so far are late season frost, and ladybugs/Asian beetles, earwigs moving into the clusters just as it is time to harvest.

10 Marquette at 4 years old are doing great. Addl 25 at 3 years old got hammered by frost and vary from great to dead. Planning to add 25 more next year.

Need to up my wine making skills. This will be my first year with MLF and Avante.

And a barrel for next year?

A local vineyard made a great full bodied Marquette after 2 years in Hungarian Oak. If they can do it, I can do it.....maybe.

I have 20 gallons of Marquette in Hungarian oak barrels that are coming along very nice. Definitely aging better than in a glass carboy. My non barreled Marquette benefited greatly from a glycerol addition. MLF makes a huge difference as does cold crashing.

Back