Add Your Backyard Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've planted my Vineyard now - 100 vines. 20 each of Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet and Merlot. In choosing my varieties, I did a weather search worldwide compared to where I live. I wanted to see other places in the world that have a 99% or better match to my city. My search produced 29 places worldwide and three of them are in the Bordeaux; the world-renowned grape growing region. So, I chose the grapes grown there and what is known to grown where I live.

Costs so far:

Vines, $1800
Trellis system, $1300

It's taken me three weekends so far to get everything set up and planted. All I need now is sunshine so I can begin training the vines for the next two years.

I've planted my Vineyard now - 100 vines. 20 each of Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet and Merlot. In choosing my varieties, I did a weather search worldwide compared to where I live. I wanted to see other places in the world that have a 99% or better match to my city. My search produced 29 places worldwide and three of them are in the Bordeaux; the world-renowned grape growing region. So, I chose the grapes grown there and what is known to grown where I live.

Costs so far:

Vines, $1800
Trellis system, $1300

It's taken me three weekends so far to get everything set up and planted. All I need now is sunshine so I can begin training the vines for the next two years.

Pictures or...............

George it looks like your West of the mountains. Is that true?

Costs so far:

Vines, $1800
Trellis system, $1300

I like how you did the wires with the tensioners. I may try this for some of the new trellis I put in this year. Can you loosen those tensioners, if needed? I put some slack on the wires in winter after the leaves are gone and before the really hard freeze sets in. I've been using turnbuckles to tension and never thought of using electric fence tensioners.

I'll go to the local TSC for them then.
Dennis, I purchased most of my supplies at TSC including the tensioners. There are two types. I inadvertently purchased both types. The type with the square bolt to tighten required me to drill the end hole larger to accommodate the 3/8” lag hooks I bought. The other type had holes large enough. Make sure you buy the ratcheting tool. Both types use the same tightening tool.

I like how you did the wires with the tensioners. I may try this for some of the new trellis I put in this year. Can you loosen those tensioners, if needed? I put some slack on the wires in winter after the leaves are gone and before the really hard freeze sets in. I've been using turnbuckles to tension and never thought of using electric fence tensioners.
+1 on what ibglowin said. You can easily release the tension as stated.

I'll be acquiring material next week. I like to wait until planting time to set posts as I can still make a pass with the tiller. I usually buy from either Lowe's or TSC, as they are close enough. I am familiar with these tensioners as we used to have horses and used electric everywhere. Plus I've built my fair share of fence in my day. I just never thought of using these tensioners for this purpose. What was once horse pasture is now 'grape pasture' and a lot of fencing used previously was re-purposed for the vineyard. I shifted the electric around to keep out critters vs, keeping them in, and added dog fence to help keep the dog in and critters out.

Dennis, I purchased most of my supplies at TSC including the tensioners. There are two types. I inadvertently purchased both types. The type with the square bolt to tighten required me to drill the end hole larger to accommodate the 3/8” lag hooks I bought. The other type had holes large enough. Make sure you buy the ratcheting tool. Both types use the same tightening tool.

I'll get the ones with bigger holes then.

Latest posts

Back