add water or not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winehomie

Reaction score
I am making a tart cherry dessert wine. I put 5 lbs of dehydrated tart cherries(got a great deal because of past sell by date), 16 oz honey, pectin enzyme,2 gallons of water, and EC 1118 yeast in a 2.5 gallon fermentor, 1/2 inch head space left.
After 3 days this stuff is so dark it looks black, I put a flashlight on the back side and couldn't see any light coming thru. So should I water it down some or just let it keep working until first racking?

I would let it go till you rack it. Then taste it a go from there.

it will not be clear for light passing tough until fermentation is complete and all yeast etc drop out. this will not be complete until at least one-three months after fermentation completion.

Thanks, for the advice, I will let it go until after first racking anyway, it just surprised me at how quickly the cherries turned 2 gallons of water that dark. Fermentation is very active. I'm glad I decided not to add any yeast nutrient, the yeast really loves the cherries and honey. This is my first attempt a dessert wine, so I was worried about over sweetening and staling the yeast, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

Becareful about leaving out yeast nutrients - some yeasts will not respond well if they run out of or lack sufficent nutrient. Lack of nutrients is one cause of a stalled fermentaiton which can occur as you get closer to finish line of fermentation.

I have a curiosity question. This wine is almost done fermenting 21+ days, still bubbling slowly so haven't checked the SG yet. I noticed that there is close to an inch of dead/live yeast in the bottom of my fermenter. I have never seen that much yeast build up during fermentation. I did add nutrient after racking off gross lees, and have left it alone and untouched since, except looking in on it once a week. Just wondering if this is normal or if I got some super mutant yeast that will take over the world one day lol

I have a curiosity question. This wine is almost done fermenting 21+ days, still bubbling slowly so haven't checked the SG yet. I noticed that there is close to an inch of dead/live yeast in the bottom of my fermenter. I have never seen that much yeast build up during fermentation. I did add nutrient after racking off gross lees, and have left it alone and untouched since, except looking in on it once a week. Just wondering if this is normal or if I got some super mutant yeast that will take over the world one day lol

Could just be suspended solids falling out from the wine.

If you let it sit LONGER that inch will settle down to less than 1/2. Gravity still works:h

Latest posts

Back