Add oak at 6 months?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parick

Reaction score
I have a Chilean bucket that has been racked three times in 6 months. All is well and tastes fine, but I did not add any oak. Now I wish I did. Is it too late? I have some American oak cubes I was thinking about adding.

I think I will try the stocking with marbles method and maybe about 1/4 c of the oak cubes. It's a 5 gal carboy.

1/4C cubes is not much. Keep in mind cubes take longer to give oak flavor. I would add chips at this point.

would you put the 3 oz. of chips in a stocking or mesh bag with marbles for weight?

I think it would be harder (next to impossible) to get out of the carboy if you did that. I would dump em in and leave in until they sink, then rack again. Just lower the racking cane down slowly until you get to the end. The anti sediment tip will keep them out.

Just remember to to stir once a week and taste. What varietal is this?

good point, might be tough to get out! I would end up cutting it and racking anyway! The wine is a Chilean Zinfindel from a juice bucket.

when i have been too busy to get to a wine that was on the back burner i have added oak over a year+ after fermentation has stopped, i agree that chips are your best tact because of speed of delivery and speaking of chips if you ever have a wine that you felt needed degassing ( rare w grapes but it can happen) and you added the oak and decided to be "on the ball" and degas during your time when the oak you applied is delivering the oak....do not yield to that "need to be on the ball" i have seen degassing cause the oak chips and cubes to sink to the bottom...oak chips especially fall on each other at the bottom and the oak does not leach into the wine...always always either degas 100% before applying oak, or wait until oak has done all you asked of it

I'll check for gas before adding the chips.

thanks for the info. I'm glad to find out I can tweek the oak after 6 mons or more into aging.

Latest posts

Back