Add grapes in White wine kit to improve taste and%?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my first post here and sorry for my bad English. I have made wine only three times, red wine. Now I have bought a kit that has only 6litres riesling juice (it is for 6 gallon/23 liter wine) and it cost about $40 i think (its 395,- in NOK). Is it possible to improve it with green table grapes, for more taste and alcohol %. I think the kit will be too watery without anything extra added. Sugar will only make it stronger % and sweeter, so I hope table grapes in stead of sugar can help? It is not possible to get wine grapes in Scandinavia, so table grapes is the only grapes to get. Maybe also add grapefruit zest as some use in a tweak thread here?

Thanks for answer. No, here we have only fresh green or blue table grapes. But i can freeze them a day or two before i crush them. Have read that is a smart thing to do. Can use pectolase if that is needed when using fresh grapes to avoid haze.

The shops here have some drinking-juice mixed with grapes and other fruits, but they are treated with something that could mess up with fermenting I think. I could reduce the water so I get only 5 gallon instead of using grapes, but I am thinking about maybe it will be too acidic, because the kit is made for 6 gallon. Grapes can also increase acidity of course but I thought if I choose some grapes that are sweet and tasty that in the same time taste very little acidic, it could be possible to use and reduce the amount of must to about 5.5 gallon. Use 2 lbs of green table grapes maybe? And may not use the skins?

To answer my stupid amateur question myself. No, it is not smart to use table grapes to improve taste of wine. I started the kit today and mashed 1kg (about 2 lbs I think) of table grapes (Thompson seedless). It is just too watery, I realized. Will let the skins stay in only 2 days, because it is a white wine and they normally not use the skins (some told me).
Added also 0,6kg sugar and grapefruit zest. The smell was really good. The juice in the wine-kit was very thick. i I filled up the bucket with water to a total amount of 5.5 gallons.
The yeast started fermenting already after 2 hours. The starting sg was about 1.097 or 1.098. I think the kit is only sold in Scandinavia, the name is Falcon Crest Golden Riesling.

I have also ordered a Winexpert Appassimento Selection (Amarone). Will do it after the Riesling. Really looking forward to that, my first high quality kit :)

To answer my stupid amateur question myself. No, it is not smart to use table grapes to improve taste of wine. I started the kit today and mashed 1kg (about 2 lbs I think) of table grapes (Thompson seedless). It is just too watery, I realized. Will let the skins stay in only 2 days, because it is a white wine and they normally not use the skins (some told me).
Added also 0,6kg sugar and grapefruit zest. The smell was really good. The juice in the wine-kit was very thick. i I filled up the bucket with water to a total amount of 5.5 gallons.
The yeast started fermenting already after 2 hours. The starting sg was about 1.097 or 1.098. I think the kit is only sold in Scandinavia, the name is Falcon Crest Golden Riesling.

I have also ordered a Winexpert Appassimento Selection (Amarone). Will do it after the Riesling. Really looking forward to that, my first high quality kit :)
My suggestion would be to do the Amarone kit almost by the instructions. However, I would age in a carboy longer to make it taste better. I'd also age in a bottle as long as you can.

You need to read Tweeking cheap wine kits all the way through,Thomp Tho grapes sauteed down ate not bad for your kit it will add structure no problem there reducing it down to 5.5 was a good move next time drop to a 5 cheaper kits do better reducing the volume you don't need to concern your self about the ABV..it will be fine zest in the primary is ok not to much 1/2 of a grapefruit more than enough.keep learning my friend,sta s the course.

My suggestion would be to do the Amarone kit almost by the instructions. However, I would age in a carboy longer to make it taste better. I'd also age in a bottle as long as you can.
Thanks. Yes, I will not tweak this one, only maybe a little extended maceration (2-3 weeks). I can max age the Amarone in carboy about three months because I have only a small place to work with and store wine, and because of that only has 1 carboy and 2 fermentation-buckets in my house. So to have something to drink when the Amarone is resting in bottles, I need the carboy. I have only space enough here to store about 50 bottles at the time. Maybe find a new house and get me a hobby/wine-room later..

You need to read Tweeking cheap wine kits all the way through,Thomp Tho grapes sauteed down ate not bad for your kit it will add structure no problem there reducing it down to 5.5 was a good move next time drop to a 5 cheaper kits do better reducing the volume you don't need to concern your self about the ABV..it will be fine zest in the primary is ok not to much 1/2 of a grapefruit more than enough.keep learning my friend,sta s the course.
Thanks. I have started on and read a lot in that thread now and will go on an read to the end of it. Many really good ideas there. I have already used zest of a 1/1 grapefruit, so maybe it is too much? If i find its too much, maybe I can buy a new kit and use about 1/2 or 1 liter from it in this must and just make a smaller batch of the rest of the new kit later? Is it possible to taste it now to find out if it is too much zest taste, or will it change so much later that its not of any value to taste it now? The wine is still fermenting good, started it the 21.feb.

The riesling is really good. When it was finished fermenting, it tasted really too much from the grape zest, but after some time it mellowed out. Now we love the wine, and its only 10 bottles left..

Latest posts

Back