WineXpert Add Extra K-Meta for 6mo in Bottle??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldBanjo

Junior
Reaction score
My daughter just asked me to make wine for her wedding--she's a brave girl! Anyway, it's about 8 months out and she wants the Winexpert VR Cabernet. I really don't want to screw this up so I have a couple questions. I've made several kits but haven't had any bottles survive my wife's opener beyond 4 months yet! (I've bought more carboys etc... and am ramping hard to get ahead of her.)
1. If I am going straight into bottles after the Step 4 Rack, should I add the extra 1/4 tsp of k-meta?? I can't tell from the instructions whether it is recommended for all wine aged past 3 months or if it is only recommended for bulk aging.
2. If I add it "just to be safe", is there any risk of tasting or smelling Sulphur?

I add an extra 1/4 teaspoon to many wines and according to the time frame that you are referencing, I have not had any problems. Two teaspoons on the other hand is too much.

If anything, you can casually mention to people to let it breath a bit or pour a glass and give it a swirl. I think the sulfite actually enhances the overall profile of the wine whereas without it, its a little flabby and flat. Hope this helps.

My daughter just asked me to make wine for her wedding--she's a brave girl! Anyway, it's about 8 months out and she wants the Winexpert VR Cabernet. I really don't want to screw this up so I have a couple questions. I've made several kits but haven't had any bottles survive my wife's opener beyond 4 months yet! (I've bought more carboys etc... and am ramping hard to get ahead of her.)
1. If I am going straight into bottles after the Step 4 Rack, should I add the extra 1/4 tsp of k-meta?? I can't tell from the instructions whether it is recommended for all wine aged past 3 months or if it is only recommended for bulk aging.
2. If I add it "just to be safe", is there any risk of tasting or smelling Sulphur?

If you are bottling on schedule with the kit instructions (too fast for me......), then you’ll be bottling within a week or two of your first sulfite dose, and you shouldn’t need to add an additional dose prior to bottling, that’s for bulk aging.

You can put in too much sulfite, and the taste can be detected, so don’t go overboard, more isn’t better, the right amount is the best amount. Sulfite will not improve the taste of your wine, that’s not it’s job. At best it’s an antioxidant / antimicrobial and will preserve what you’ve created, not enhance it.

Just make sure your wine is completely clear and free of CO2 before bottling. Sulfited, clear, and gas-free, your wine will then easily survive the eight months in style and show off your hard work.

Latest posts

Back