add collection container to stainless steel conical fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer007

Junior
Reaction score
I am thinking about switching from plastic to SS, but noticed almost all SS conical does not come with a collection container, and it is rather clumsy to discharge the sediment, as posted on youtube:

This one is completely blocked:

This one is not jammed but cannot control the flow:

So why not add a container? Use a 90 degree elbow to connect, will it work? Will sediment sink to the container through the horizontal part?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The elbow changes the 1/2" to 1" since the container is 1", but not sure if it will be exactly facing downwords to connect the container:
add container.jpg

I’ve never tried what you suggest but I’d bet dollars to donuts little or none will “settle” through the two 90 elbows. I have that same conical and use the “sampling” tap on the side of the conical portion to drain. It’s slow but easily leaves the heavy lees behind.
I have an 8 gal fast fermenter with the collection ball you show and I’ve found with a fast flocculating yeast the yeast can “bridge” the opening and doesn’t fall even straight through often.

Thanks for the comment. I am using the fastferment and sediment seems to be sinking to the bottom ball after about 10 days:
sediment3.png

Thanks. This comes with 2" connection, but many SS fermenters come with 1/2" drain ball valve. And the container is over 1 liter so it is like wasting some beer/wine? I think a 500ml is enough?
It seems like not many folks are using the drain valve to discharge sediment, otherwise, there should be lots of ideas?
If there is no use for the drain valve, I wonder why the manufacturers have it on the fermenter.

Thanks. This comes with 2" connection, but many SS fermenters come with 1/2" drain ball valve. And the container is over 1 liter so it is like wasting some beer/wine? I think a 500ml is enough?
It seems like not many folks are using the drain valve to discharge sediment, otherwise, there should be lots of ideas?
If there is no use for the drain valve, I wonder why the manufacturers have it on the fermenter.

You can use a TC reducer. Another off the shelf solution would be to use a sightglass/spool with a cap on one end.

I am thinking about switching from plastic to SS, but noticed almost all SS conical does not come with a collection container, and it is rather clumsy to discharge the sediment, as posted on youtube:

This one is completely blocked:

This one is not jammed but cannot control the flow:

So why not add a container? Use a 90 degree elbow to connect, will it work? Will sediment sink to the container through the horizontal part?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The elbow changes the 1/2" to 1" since the container is 1", but not sure if it will be exactly facing downwords to connect the container:
View attachment 101529

I enjoy my Brewbuilt X2. Originally got it for the yeast collector but it does a pretty good job with pressure fermentation. 1684890124152.png

Ok I tried and it does not work.
Water does not even fill the container, probably because the pressure is too much and air cannot escape from the container. I can loose the union a little and it fills but then sediment will not sink into the container.
TimePhoto_20230619_151725.jpg
TimePhoto_20230619_151751.jpg

I really wonder why such products even exist as the discharge valve is totally useless.

Back