Acidifying the Sanitizer !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

Should I add Citric Acid along with K-Meta , everytime I make a sanitizing solution with K-meta ?!

Hector

You dont have to but it makes the solution much stronger which will do the job better.

You dont have to but it makes the solution much stronger which will do the job better.

As far as I know , Acidifying a Metabisulfite solution leads to emission of SO2 from that solution .

So , how can it make the solution stronger , as the concentration of SO2 would decrease ?!

Hector

Itwill m ake the sulfite gases come out more like you say thus doing ts job better as the gases from the solution are what is really doing the job when using this as a sanitizer.

Acid blend will only work to a small extent as its only the citric acid that does the job and blend contains malic, tartaric, and citric. You use the same amount as the sulfite you used or less depending on how strong you want the batch. I only add the citric to the amount Im using at the time cause it will strengthen it at the time but will make it weaker in the long run as it will cause the S02 to disperse.

Latest posts

Back