Acid Titration Test Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I am confused I think with this kit. Most 5 gallon recipes call for +/- 2 1/2 tsp. acid blend. I have done 5 gallon batches of blackberry, pineapple and mango. Today when I did mango, the initial test showed about .30. If you use 5.5 tsp to raise the acid up .15, you need a lot of acid blend to reach .60 although a pleasant tart taste had been reached long before the amount the test kit says is needed. I think I must be reading the results wrong. Maybe there is a better test kit out there.

When you add the 10cc did you only add 3cc or was it 7 cc before it changed color?

OK Tom, I think from your question that this may be the problem. Three cc's may change the color, but not permanently. I am adding the neutralizer 1 drop at a time until their is no further change. If it takes 3 cc's to permanently change the color, I am reading the acid at .30%. Am I going wrong?

You must multiply the cc's of neutralizer by .075

Rodo, there is no mention of multiplying the cc's by .075 in the instructions

Would you like me to go through the test step by step with you?

I made an error with this my first time too.

With the syringe draw a 10cc sample of the wine and put it in the clear cup. Rinse the syringe several times with water.

Draw 15CC of wine
Add 3 drops
Draw 10cc of Sodium Hydroxide
slowly add to color change
Now if you added 7cc then its .70%

Add 3 or 4 drops of the indicator solution (phenolphthalein) to the cup and swirl to mix.

Now if you added 7cc then its .70%
Tom if he is using the kit I showed him in the picture it is not 70% It is 7cc X .075 =.52%

OK, that is my understanding also. I have been doing it correctly. The problem is that I'm coming up with like .20% or .30% and it takes a ridiculous amount of acid blend to bring it up to 60%. Could the kit have problems?

Its possible we have different kits. The one I use is called Acid Titration Kit from L.D.Carlson. My kit says;
"each cc of sodium hydroxide add to attain color change indicates .1% of acid If 5cc is needed to get color change the acid is .5%"

Thanks guys, I think I will order the kit that Wade recommends. This one is just not giving me results I feel comfortable with,

Latest posts

Back