Acid test kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many use an acid test kit?

• Have one but can't figure it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard to get an accurate reading

• Hope Santa brings me one

• Use it all the time

• Total voters

Bill B

Reaction score
I poll this question because in many posts I read replies (get an acid test kit) Ive had one for 10 years and still cant tell the color change in my reds. I got so fed up that I put it aside and use my PH meter only. Just curious. Im half color blind anyway.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

I have two different acid test kits and have used both on the same must and can't ever get even close to the same results. I have a hard time telling when the sample changes color permanently. Some day I will get a meterthat I can calibrate. The pH test is simple, but for total acidity I use the "Waldo" method of taste testing. It works better for me than a test I have no faith in. That's just me though!

I have the one with the fluids and it seems to work for me but I dont have the ph test to prove it wrong so?

I have a Bert so I don't have to be able to figure it out!
smiley2.gif

Maybe someone with the "wherewithall" as Dad used to say will make an instructional video that can be followed and understood and make it available for a fee to those of us who would really like to learn

Maybe that could be a topic at Winestock II, I've tried it several times and it seems very vague in what the outcomes are. So, like Waldo, I do the taste test but a question on that also: Is what you are tasting in the must as acidiity translate into the same taste once it has formented to dry? Should you go a liitle more tart or less tart for the finished wine. What tastes just perfect to me in the sweet must may be different at the end. Did I get that across ok? Waldo, let me know if you tweek the taste any one way or the other based on the final balanced taste.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Wow -- if someone who DOES know what s/he is doing could also write, this sounds like a great feature article for one of George's monthly "pressin's"
smiley4.gif

Ramona I adjust by taste on the front end, before fermenting and it may just be pure luck but this far all of my wines except for a Plum have finished pretty danged close to where I had brought them to initially. The Plum did seem to increase in tartness as it fermented but it has been bulk aging for about 9 weeks and is mellowing back out a bit.

Latest posts

Back