Acid/Sugar adjustments with fruit solids

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guttoc27

Junior
Reaction score
HI.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm just trying to get my head around the concept...

When trying to make these adjustments before fermentation, how do you calculate the additions needed if there's a bunch of fruit solids taking up volume in the fermenter? So I don't actually know the volume of ONLY the juice yet, since I want to "pulp ferment."

I can get juice enough to test.... but to calculate adjustments...

Is there a way I'm missing? Or just make small adjustments and keep testing?

Thanks all!

If the fruit is in a mesh bag, you can drip drain the bag and look at the remaining volume. I've found this works pretty well...by the end of primary you've gained some additional volume from the fruit but you lose it again with sediment/racking losses so comes out about right. I generally do it right as I'm pitching the yeast after the pectic has had time to work for a while.

If the fruit is in a mesh bag, you can drip drain the bag and look at the remaining volume. I've found this works pretty well...by the end of primary you've gained some additional volume from the fruit but you lose it again with sediment/racking losses so comes out about right. I generally do it right as I'm pitching the yeast after the pectic has had time to work for a while.

This is the same way I do it!

Latest posts

Back