acid problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
first of all, when someone says low acid they mean higher ph numbers like 3.6-3.7, and high acid as 3.1-3.0, is this correct? My ph reader is giving me readings of 3.0 and 3.1 which is high acid strength. My TA readings are usually around 1.2 or higher which is the amount a acid. Ok, I've read the directions very carefully and feel like I'm doing the reading correctly. Also my SG is 1.080, 11% alcohol, and balling is 20. The TA is my only problem and its way to high to chemically adjust, cold stabilization can't get it down far enough and I don't have any other less acid wine to blend.

Is there anything I can do before harvest? I've heard of someone in Maine putting limestone around the bushes, or would it help if I pick at 23brix instead of 22brix. I would appreciate any suggestions, this is the second year at this hobby and I keep getting high TA and it makes my wine tart.

thanks, gordon

I’d let it hang as long as you can. Generally as the grape ripens, acid drops and pH rises.

You are right on high acid is low pH although there is not a direct relationship. PH is protection, TA is taste in my simple rule. I pick on taste and pH.

You don’t say if red or white. I target 20-22 brix for my whites times pH squared to be at least 200. Reds, I go much riper, 24 or more on brix and the same equation heading more to 300. Weather often dictates. I’m picking tomorrow no matter the numbers because a hard freeze is predicted and my travel schedule says I have to.

Anyway, if it tastes too tart, you can dilute with sweetened water or grape juice or find some lower acid grapes to blend.

I recently acquired a lot of Maréchal Foch grapes with a pH of about 3-3.1.

My method has been to tackle it with a malic acid eating select yeast strain (Just 71B - I don't have enough time to wait for the delivery of a better strain), which should raise the pH enough to prime it for a proper lactic acid fermentation, after which point it should be a much more reasonable 3.4-3.6.

That's just what I'm hoping. A proper pH won't fix the fact that the Foch was only 22 brix, which is fine for other grapes, but there's still a substantial amount of green aroma going on. Who knows how it'll be.

Last edited:
I’d let it hang as long as you can. Generally as the grape ripens, acid drops and pH rises.

You are right on high acid is low pH although there is not a direct relationship. PH is protection, TA is taste in my simple rule. I pick on taste and pH.

You don’t say if red or white. I target 20-22 brix for my whites times pH squared to be at least 200. Reds, I go much riper, 24 or more on brix and the same equation heading more to 300. Weather often dictates. I’m picking tomorrow no matter the numbers because a hard freeze is predicted and my travel schedule says I have to.

Anyway, if it tastes too tart, you can dilute with sweetened water or grape juice or find some lower acid grapes to blend.

How did your grapes fare, John? Your note about the frost alarmed me, because I am waiting on grapes from your part of the world. I see that it got down to the mid-20's last night. Hope your fruit is fine!

thanks for the help. Part of my problem this year is three heavy frosts and some very cold nights which are causing my grapes to start getting soft and I had to pick early. I have St. Pipen and Lacrosse grapes and all my readings are fine except for my TA. This is my second year at this and I'm hoping with some better pruning and later picking I can get the TA under control.

Also, I've asked this before, has anyone heard of Limestone around the plants to counteract the Maine acid soils? thanks again, gordon

How did your grapes fare, John? Your note about the frost alarmed me, because I am waiting on grapes from your part of the world. I see that it got down to the mid-20's last night. Hope your fruit is fine!

They did fine. The WSU weather station, down by the river about a mile from me only got to 33.4. I’m not sure what they had further south, they had freeze warnings for the Waulluke and Rattlesnake hills areas last night.

As for the limestone question. Lime will reduce soil acidity, but I don’t know that there is a direct relative between soil and grape acidity, unless it inhibits ripening. Maine must be a tough place to grow but I’ve read of pruning and irrigation strategies to delay or accelerate ripening. Hopefully you can sort out something that works for your vineyard.

Latest posts

Back