acetobacter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marquettematt

Reaction score
Hi All

Please take note of the blueish film on the right side where its topped off. I hope this isn't what I think it is. I hope its just yeast or mlb. I just added sulfite a week ago.

WIN_20161101_19_07_32_Pro.jpg

Hi All

Please take note of the blueish film on the right side where its topped off. I hope this isn't what I think it is. I hope its just yeast or mlb. I just added sulfite a week ago.

Just looks like some solids that are floating rather than sinking, looks purple in the pic.

Sulfited and proper topping greatly reduce the potential, and it seems you have both in check. Does it taste like vinegar?

Just looks like some solids that are floating rather than sinking, looks purple in the pic.

Sulfited and proper topping greatly reduce the potential, and it seems you have both in check. Does it taste like vinegar?

I don't think so but it is rather acidic (TA .75-.8). I was thinking about what it could be and it seems like commercial wines have a slight film to them. I wonder if it's just this phenomena setting in.

I don't think so but it is rather acidic (TA .75-.8). I was thinking about what it could be and it seems like commercial wines have a slight film to them. I wonder if it's just this phenomena setting in.

I'm assuming that since you just added sulfite a week ago that this is a brand new wine. Lotta racking to go before you need to worry about floaties, as long as your sanitation has been good.

I washed and rewashed everything. The most unsanitary thing I did was open fermentation but I kept cheese cloth over the buckets. Ok, I'm convinced that I'm just worrying to much but it doesn't hurt to check. Thank you

I'd rack, clean,so2 the wine. Fill that headspace with wine and add a solid bung. Headspace and O2 is not your friend.

Why the solid bung NorCal? Won't and airlock protect it just as well?? I find my carboys bubble occasionally with a couple of degrees temp change. Wouldn't a solid bung create a problem with this?

I washed and rewashed everything. The most unsanitary thing I did was open fermentation but I kept cheese cloth over the buckets. Ok, I'm convinced that I'm just worrying to much but it doesn't hurt to check. Thank you

Never hurts to worry:ib. This is your baby. If it doesn't smell off, I think you are OK. I agree with others, top off and wait.

Why the solid bung NorCal? Won't and airlock protect it just as well?? I find my carboys bubble occasionally with a couple of degrees temp change. Wouldn't a solid bung create a problem with this?

When the wine stops generating co2, I move to a solid bung to prevent O2 exposure. As the wine expands/contracts with temp swings, it will pull O2 past a liquid airlock. If you have a properly fitted silicon bung, you will withstand the changes in pressure. Look at winery's barrel room...most all use solid bungs.

For carboys, I like the type that wraps around the top of the opening.

Last edited:
No off smells. In fact, it smells very wine like. There is an odd taste but i'm convinced it's either the recent addition of sulfite or malic acid.

Latest posts

Back