Acetobacter carboys (vinegar)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garymc

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get some free carboys that are currently being used to turn wine into vinegar. This is one instance where I'm thinking it would be ok to violate the "no chlorine" rule. I was thinking I would bathe them inside and out with bleach and detergent, rinse thoroughly a few times, and then give a heavy extended dose of K-meta. I read somewhere that k-meta works to neutralize the possible ill effects of chlorine around wine production. Am I being paranoid about acetobacter? Chlorine? I have 3 or 4 kinds of vinegar in my kitchen and the cooties haven never escaped into my wine before.

I have the opportunity to get some free carboys that are currently being used to turn wine into vinegar. This is one instance where I'm thinking it would be ok to violate the "no chlorine" rule. I was thinking I would bathe them inside and out with bleach and detergent, rinse thoroughly a few times, and then give a heavy extended dose of K-meta. I read somewhere that k-meta works to neutralize the possible ill effects of chlorine around wine production. Am I being paranoid about acetobacter? Chlorine? I have 3 or 4 kinds of vinegar in my kitchen and the cooties haven never escaped into my wine before.

K-meta is used in beer making to neutralize chlorine in tap water. It takes a very small amount. 1/4 campden tablet(0.11 grams of kmeta) to 5 gallons of water. Of course with straight bleach or even diluted it will take a larger dose.

I've read of recouping barrels with acetobactor, so I would imagine the carboys would be recoverable and usable for wine.

I probably would do the bleach myself in this situation

Latest posts

Back