Accidentally put the kmeta and sorbate in too early, salvegeable?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintofZzar

Junior
Reaction score
So I accidentally skipped ahead a sentence and put those in, then read sparkalloid and was like ah damn... Left it for a week to see what happens and it's slowly been ticking away, but has stalled at 1.010.
Should I just add the sparkalloid now, then have it be a lower % overall? Tastes nice regardless!
Thanks!

Has it actually stalled or is it still ticking away? What was the OG?
I don’t use sorbate myself but as I understand its main functions are to arrest fermentation and prevent te-fermentation so I’d guess it’s finished fermenting now for better or worse and can be fined if you want. YLYL!

Has it actually stalled or is it still ticking away? What was the OG?
I don’t use sorbate myself but as I understand its main functions are to arrest fermentation and prevent te-fermentation so I’d guess it’s finished fermenting now for better or worse and can be fined if you want. YLYL!
It’s been at 1.010 for I think like 9 days ish? Started at 1.070. I’m still a beginner tbh not too sure what’s normal!

Sparkaloid is used to help clear the wine after fermentation is complete.

The kmeta and sorbate may be too early but the Sparkaloid should never be used until after fermentation is done and you have degassed the wine.
Hmm yeah I wasn’t sure if using those meant it would basically end fermentation early, or just slow it down a bunch

The single most important thing in winemaking is the "P" word, Patience.

The good news is that your wine is fine. It may not turn out quite like it was intended, but if YOU like it? It's a win.

I agree with Chuck, give it time. Do not add Sparkaloid now -- as Joni said, it comes after fermentation, and at this point, you don't know if it's going to continue or not.

Put the wine under airlock with minimal headspace (5 to 10 cm), and ignore it for 3 months. During that time it may ferment more, or it may not. At the end of 3 months, you may or may not want to add Sparkaloid, as it may be clear.

Depending on the wine type, you may (or may not) want to bottle then. Lighter wines can be bottled earlier (IMO 4 months) while heavier wines need more time in bulk.

The single most important thing in winemaking is the "P" word, Patience.

The good news is that your wine is fine. It may not turn out quite like it was intended, but if YOU like it? It's a win.

I agree with Chuck, give it time. Do not add Sparkaloid now -- as Joni said, it comes after fermentation, and at this point, you don't know if it's going to continue or not.

Put the wine under airlock with minimal headspace (5 to 10 cm), and ignore it for 3 months. During that time it may ferment more, or it may not. At the end of 3 months, you may or may not want to add Sparkaloid, as it may be clear.

Depending on the wine type, you may (or may not) want to bottle then. Lighter wines can be bottled earlier (IMO 4 months) while heavier wines need more time in bulk.
Thank you! I did wonder how much headspace was reasonable actually so that helps

Latest posts

Back