Accidentally added sodium percabonte into wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector meza

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, i was about to bottle a 50 gallon barrel of wine but accidentally added 5 grams (.18 ounces) of sodium percabonate. what is the effect it will have? is it still fixable?

Its Oxy-Clean (bad news) It's only 5gm in 189L (good news). Hard to say at that low level. I would wonder if this is a red wine it may ruin the appearance but again at that low level you might not be able to detect it. I would check the pH and compare to any previous reading you had taken. Check your TA and compare, check your Free SO2 and compare. Finally do a smell test. Does it smell off. Do a taste test does it taste off. That small amount would not cause any stomach upset (in my opinion) The MSDS says "Swallowing can result in nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and gastrointestinal irritation." Again probably not at that low level and this is going to react with acids (wine) as it is a base (oxidizer) making it more than likely OK to ingest after it reacts and at that (low) level.

ibglowin has it right, it reacts very quickly. The main reaction would be with the acids with the product being primarily Sodium Tartrate, this also releases Oxygen which will react with the Free SO2.

5 grams is such a small amount that it probably won't make a difference, but you may want to bulk age it another month in case it drops a sediment and dose it with a 1/4 dose of Metabisulfite.

I agree 5g is a relatively small amount, I would estimate that your free so2 would drop by only 5ppm. That's based on Oxiclean yielding around 10% hydrogen peroxide by weight.

Latest posts

Back