Acceptable Vessels for Extended Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty

Reaction score
I do all of my primary fermentation in buckets or brute trash cans. Im thinking about dipping my toes into extended maceration in the fall, and wanted to see what vessels folks have used successfully for 4-6 week macerations.

Would modifying the brute lid to add a seal like an adhesive strip for sealing around doors and drilling in an airlock be sufficient, of do I need to invest in some better primary fermenters?

If it makes a difference I'll be adding grapes to fresh juice to get the benefits of addition time of skins.

My opinion is you'll want to ensure a more air tight seal. The magic in the extended maceration is only magic void of decay promoting oxygen. In other words, I think you'd have a high likelihood of spoilage if oxygen was resident and in contact with the skins. I envision that not ending well.

Northern Brewer has 6.5 gal bubblers for $30 - https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/big-mouth-bubbler-6-5-gallon-plastic-fermentor

Someone posted on a brewing site that using something not labeled as food safe is a gamble. Sometimes it isn't the plastic type but the chemicals used on the molds used in food safe vs not. They didn't even seem to recommend trying to wash it off.

@1d10t here is the statement from Rubbermaid for Brute.

"Rubbermaid Commercial Products is proud to announce the expansion of NSF/ANSI Standard 2 Food Equipment and Standard 21 Thermoplastic Refuse Container certification to all standard colors and sizes of round and square BRUTE bases. Certification also applies to all standard round lid colors as well as square lids in gray and white. Our Brutes are also BPA Free."

I have done it using a 20 gallon brute garbage can. After fermentation I put plastic wrap across the top of the And along the sides of the inside of the garbage can. I also had a large round piece of wood that I got from Home Depot that I placed on top of that to squeeze out any air. I extended maceration for about 30 days with no problem.

I have done it using a 20 gallon brute garbage can. After fermentation I put plastic wrap across the top of the And along the sides of the inside of the garbage can. I also had a large round piece of wood that I got from Home Depot that I placed on top of that to squeeze out any air. I extended maceration for about 30 days with no problem.

Do you have any pictures of what that looks like??

Latest posts

Back