ABV and volume additions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
I have a 3 gal. batch of wine (coffee dessert). ABV ended up at 16.2%. After fermenting, I added a 1.2L fpac to it.
My question is how to calculate the ABV with the addition.

In my mind, you have approx. 11+L of fermented wine and add approx. 10% (1.2L) to it, therefore diluting the ABV by 10%. Something tells me this is wrong as you have to take in account the total volume, etc.

Nothing major, I just always wondered if there was some formula to calculate additions after the fact.

In my mind, you have 11.3l * 0.162 = 1.8306l of alcohol. Divide that by your new volume, 12.5l to get the new ABV.
1.8306l/12.5l = 14.64%

Basically the same result as 16.2 - 10% = 14.58%

Total Wine Volume / 100 * AVB = Actual Volume of Alcohol.

So, 3 Gallons / 100 * 16.2 = 0.486 Gallons of Alcohol.

A gallon is 3.78 liters. So 1.2L (the fpac) / 3.78L == 0.31 gallons. (the fpac is equal to 0.31 gallons)

So total initial wine (3G) + fpac (.31G) = 3.31 gallons total volume of wine after fpac.

So Total Alcohol (0.486G) / Total new volume (3.31G) = 0.146 or 14.6ABV.

I hope that is a bit more clear. Possibly not hah. I used gallons and he used liters.

So total initial wine (3G) + fpac (.31G) = 3.31 gallons total volume of wine after fpac.

Not exactly but I think works for what I am looking for.

There was 3G initially, after ferment. After racking, and losing sediment, it was probably closer to 2.8 - 2.9G. The leftover headspace allowed me to add approx. 1L (.9G) of fpac to make the 3G carboy full again.
Per Joe's recommendation, I racked 3G carboy into my primary, added an additional .2L of leftover fpac, then bottled.
So in the end I had 3G plus an additional 187ml of leftover fpac.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Ok, so you are all coming up with basically what I did just in a different way. Just checking to make sure I was on track.
Thanks.

D.J. You know the lazy guys way of taking care of this don't you?? When you make your lable, instead of having a abv line,just type Caution: contains an unknown amount of alcohol. Covers all the bases. :dg Arne.

D.J. You know the lazy guys way of taking care of this don't you?? When you make your lable, instead of having a abv line,just type Caution: contains an unknown amount of alcohol. Covers all the bases. :dg Arne.

haha
Excellent point and usually by bottle's end, it doesn't matter.

Just my OCD wanting to know.

Latest posts

Back