About porousity of cork and air permeability of capsules

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfection

Junior
Reaction score
Is the driven cork used for wine bottles 100% air tight ( I am not talking about faulty ones or ones that develop faults during storage)??
If yes, does it mean that bottle aged wines do not mature by micro-oxygenation and only by interaction of the many components in wine?
Do capsules affect the air permeability in ANY manner or are they just decorative 'finishes' and ceremonial?

Thank you

no corks arent airtight, they are supposed to let in a regulated amount of oxygen. different types of corks can be used for longer aging times. not sure about capsules but i think they are just decorative. when you age bottled wine you want botlles on their sides so cork is soaked with wine for proper oxygenation.

Most of the capsules I use are shrink type and have pin holes in the top, and I doubt that the shrink type or spin on tin capsules are airtight anyway. As for the wines dipped in hot wax, they would seem to me to be airtight, and I’ve often wondered why they’d be capped off that way.

Back