About how many gallons would 75 lbs of crushed grapes be?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryW

Reaction score
Trying to decided what size primary to get for x lbs of grapes.
eg: 75 or 150 or 200 lbs.
Thanks,
Larry

Very true. Be sure to check what variety you'll be using and other factors will affect it too but for the purposes of buying a fermenter it's a decent guideline.

Does that mean 150 lbs of crushed grapes would take up about 10 gallons of primary space?

Does that mean 150 lbs of crushed grapes would take up about 10 gallons of primary space?

No. You can get a gallon of finished wine from 12-20 pounds of grapes. If you are doing a white, expect more grapes per gallon and since you press immediately before ferment it will take less primary space than the reds will that are fermented with the skins. I would figure double what your final gallonage will be to allow for headspace for cap rise in the reds. For 150 pounds, get a 20 gallon fermenter. It really is a bit of trial and error until you get the whole process down. Each variety will vary a bit.

No. You can get a gallon of finished wine from 12-20 pounds of grapes. If you are doing a white, expect more grapes per gallon and since you press immediately before ferment it will take less primary space than the reds will that are fermented with the skins. I would figure double what your final gallonage will be to allow for headspace for cap rise in the reds. For 150 pounds, get a 20 gallon fermenter. It really is a bit of trial and error until you get the whole process down. Each variety will vary a bit.

Thanks grapeman, that answered my question:b

Larry

Last edited:
Back