A year in!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would fill it a bit more. Maybe the length of the cork plus another inch is all the spacing you would need.

My filler tube is ancient, I don't believe this type has been made in a long time. However, I think the modern tubes have the same displacement.

bottle1.jpg

After pulling the tube, my level is:

bottle2.jpg

With a 1.5" cork, I have about 3/4" ullage (air space).

Also, don't forget to leave the bottles standing up after corking for 3 to 4 days to allow the head space above the wine level under the cork to equalize with the outside atmosphere pressure. Then you can store the bottles on their side to keep the corks moist.

I'm having trouble with the corker, it doesn't seem to be centered so the cork looks like it's trying to go in a little crooked. I'm also afraid to force it. I don't want to break the bottle....

This the cork after I have tried putting it in...

Attachments

• 16101403254055783224944787576310.jpg
    16101403254055783224944787576310.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
It's a Portuguese corker. If you are using regular wine bottles, not screw caps, you won't break the bottle.

I have an Italian corker, bigger heavier, but does the same thing. The piece that pushes the cork in (no idea what it is called) is not centered on the hole. My corks go in skewed, so I turn the bottle and push again, which settles the cork. I'm going to send pictures, will take a few minutes.

It's a Portuguese corker. If you are using regular wine bottles, not screw caps, you won't break the bottle.

I have an Italian corker, bigger heavier, but does the same thing. The piece that pushes the cork in (no idea what it is called) is not centered on the hole. My corks go in skewed, so I turn the bottle and push again, which settles the cork. I'm going to send pictures, will take a few minutes.
I have some screw top bottles...

It's not even getting it through the hole right....I got it for free from someone here on the forum....now I have all my bottles filled and the corker is not working....

The cork is a larger diameter than the bottle. The corker not only pushes the cork into the bottle, it compresses the corks.

Really important -- when you put the bottle into the corker, make sure the mouth lines up with the hole in the corker. You can look down from the top to see. The hole is probably lined up with the far side of the jaws.

corker1.jpg

When you pull the lever down, the jaws move in, compressing the cork over the hole, then pushing it into the bottle.

corker2.jpg

DO NOT cork screwcap bottles. The neck is not reinforced to handle the pressure, and the bottle can shatter. You can use screw caps, put the original cap on and screw on as tightly as you can. Turn the bottle upside down, if it doesn't leak, you're good.

Here is the result with my husband's help...

Attachments

• 16101419743893333549445654085818.jpg
    16101419743893333549445654085818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back