A Very Exciting Day.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to rack and top up the Shiraz and Pinot Grigio because I am tired of monitoring the vacuum.

I had already decided it was just a transfer, so I took some off to taste, topped up the Shiraz, added k-meta and put it back under air lock.

I did the same with the Pinot Grigio and set up a taste test. Both on their own, the commercial bottles, and the Pinot Grigio after topping up.. So low it was pretty well a blend.

It has been a month since the suggested bottle day. When I tasted them then, I was pretty disappointed. They were nothing I wanted to drink so I didn't even rack. Now? Both are already pretty damn good. If I had tasted before hand I likely would have bottled half the Shiraz and put half in a 3 gallon carboy as I had planned to do before. It's better than the bought wine I topped it up with. (This might say something about my wine choices, but we both thought so)

The Pinot Grigio is distinctly young, even to my palate. It has an upfront 'white grape' flavor, but after I blended with the commercial wine it was very drinkable. I have high hopes for when it ages a little more. I may still adjust the acid a bit, I like a tart wine, but without the really prominent and muddy grape flavor it had a month ago, I am no longer wondering if I am making something I can drink.

Now, I already know the advice would be to leave it for three months, but this is just me thinking. If I decide in a month or 2 that I want to split the Shiraz, do I add k-meta again, or is the amount in it at this point enough to hold it through bottling?

Last edited:
You don't test do you? Just a 1/4 tsp for a 6 gallon batch?
Nope -- just add it. NorCal did a test, and it turns out that blindly adding 1/4 tsp per 5/6 gallons results in ~30 ppm, which is roughly the target folks test for. It's old school, but it works.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back