WineXpert A Tale of Three Pinots, Early Taste Test Results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhaynes

Reaction score
About a year ago we decided to do an experiment. We’ve always been curious about how much difference there was in the taste of different priced kits and whether any perceived difference might be due to difference in the instructions and/or processing time between low end kits and high end kits. We were also curious about how the perceived differences between the kits might change over time. Since the inexpensive kits are suppose to mature earlier, we thought that the inexpensive kit might actually taste better early on but then the expensive kit might catch up and pass the inexpensive kit.

So, we bought three different Winexpert pinot noir kits, a Vintner’s Reserve, a Select and an Eclipse. We started them all within a week of each other and processed them exactly the same following the directions for the more expensive Eclipse kit. We bulk aged them all next to each other for 9 months and then bottled them all the same day. They are almost exactly a year old now.

On Friday we took a bottle of each to my office Christmas party. We conducted a blind taste test by hiding the labels with a piece of white paper and drawing a different graphic symbol on each one. We then had people taste each one and rank them 1, 2 or 3 depending on the taste at this point in time. It was a very random group of testers. Some appeared quite knowledgeable, others not so much. The results really surprised us. They were almost dead even.

The Eclipse received 8 first place rankings, the Vintner’s Reserve received 7 and the Select received 5. When we totaled all of the points there was only one point difference in the scores of the Eclipse and the Vintner’s Reserve. The Select was 5 points lower. I’m not sure how to explain the results, especially the fact that the Select finished third. Clearly the Eclipse is still a little immature. It probably needs another year or two to reach it’s potential. It’s possible that in another year at next year’s Christmas party the results will be different. It’s also possible that the folks who ranked the Vintner’s Reserve high are use to drink inexpensive $8-10 bottles of pinot from the grocery and the Vintner’s Reserve taste like what they are use to. Tune in next year for an update.

IMG_0789_LoRes.jpg

Excellent!! Appreciate the findings and your post!!

I have had many great results from the Vintner's Reserve line...and great feedback as well from the bottles I have gifted...

I'm not sure why this is but you may be on to something when you say it's what people are used to from buying commercially...I don't know anyone who purchases a $20+ bottle...but that $10-$15 seems to be the sweet spot around here...the Vintner's can compete that's for sure!!

Thanks!!!

Great idea! Thanks for following through and sharing with us.

All beautiful labels BTW...

I would be curious to see the results where the tasters could see labels. Where one WE bottle just got a marked masking tape label, another an okay label and the third a really nice label like one from your photo above. I suspect that we'd find that we could spend more time and money making fine labels, less time and money making high end kits and wind up getting from most tasters high praises for our low end wines. Or... maybe not.

Cool experiment. It would be very interesting to see how things stack up in another year.

I see the Selection Pinot is from Sonoma - where are the other 2 from? That would play into the style/preference as well, I imagine.

Clearly, the Select was ranked third because it was in a Bordeaux bottle! :)

Great idea for an experiment, and well-executed. These are the kinds of things I'd like to try, but find the barrier too great. Well done.

bkisel - I think you may be right about the influence of the label. The Eclipse labels came with the kit. The other two were purchased in the clearance section of an online supplier. We took six of our other wines to share as well. Some had professional labels we purchased. Others had just a plain blank stick on label that we had hand written the type of wine on. At the end of the night we noticed that people had drank a lot more of the wines with pretty labels and very little of the ones with handwritten labels.

Cool experiment. It would be very interesting to see how things stack up in another year.

I see the Selection Pinot is from Sonoma - where are the other 2 from? That would play into the style/preference as well, I imagine.

Eclipse is Sonoma as well.

If the bottle in the middle has the correct label for the kit, That's a Selection Estate Series. That was formerly WEs ultra-premium kit which was renamed Eclipse. Don't know if they reformulated it when they changed the name.

The label on the middle bottle is not an exact match to the kit. They were on clearance for $4. I needed a label for the Select Pinot so I bought them. They said "Select" and "Pinot Noir" so I figured that was close enough :) The kit is the currently available Select Original Pinot Noir kit.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

OK here is the question I have for you.

Does any of them taste like a California Pinot Noir? Any true varietal taste coming through or just generic "dark fruits"?

I have two of the three. I have a handful of Sel. Original left at 17 months old and almost the entire batch of the Eclipse at 14 months old. The Sel. Original actually tasted like a pinot at bottling (8 months old) but at that time lacked any real aroma. It has been decent for a $3.50 per bottle pinot, and did eventually develop a nose. Looking back at my notes on the Eclipse didn't prove very helpful as of yet. They consist of "ok at bottling" (9 months old) and "ok at 12 months". Looks like I'm going to have to pop one of each open. I'll try to remember to write down my findings and post back.

When we did the first taste test a few months ago it had been a little over 9 months since we started the all three. At that time the VR was pretty good but was a little thin. The select was the best at that point to me. It had more body than the VR and was reasonable mature. The eclipse was by far the most complex. It definitely showed the most promise but was still quite green. One odd thing was that at 9 months the eclipse had almost no bouquet at all. This caused us some concern. When we did the recent taste test we were busy and didn't get a chance to taste all three ourselves. We're hoping to do another family taste test over the holidays. We did however open a bottle of the eclipse for Christmas dinner today. It is now 12 months old since we started it. It has matured quite a bit and now taste almost ready. It has also developed a nice bouquet which is somewhat surprising since it had none 3 months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I have two of the three. I have a handful of Sel. Original left at 17 months old and almost the entire batch of the Eclipse at 14 months old. The Sel. Original actually tasted like a pinot at bottling (8 months old) but at that time lacked any real aroma. It has been decent for a $3.50 per bottle pinot, and did eventually develop a nose. Looking back at my notes on the Eclipse didn't prove very helpful as of yet. They consist of "ok at bottling" (9 months old) and "ok at 12 months". Looks like I'm going to have to pop one of each open. I'll try to remember to write down my findings and post back.

Update: The Sel. Original is quite noticeably lighter in both color and body, but it's drier and more aromatic than the Eclipse at this point. The Eclipse is much more full bodied than the Sel. Original, but it's too fruit forward at this point. With time it will definitely blow past where the Sel. Original is at right now. On a related note, we should be bottling our LE Oregon Pinot in the next month or two. So we'll have a third pinot to add to the mix.

Are you requesting an update from me or Dhaynes? I've recently commented about three of our pinots in other threads. We're currenty waiting on two more, our RJ's EP and WS pinots should be bottled next month. We'll post an update when those have had some time to settle into their bottles.

Wanting an update from original post... I'm suspecting the eclipse pinot has pulled out in front of the others at this time...

Wanting an update from original post... I'm suspecting the eclipse pinot has pulled out in front of the others at this time...

Dhaynes was the original poster, but I can tell you without a doubt that out of his original three pinots, the Eclipse will be the clear long term winner, no contest. But our WE LE Oregon pinot (20 months) is still as good or better than our Eclipse (26 months) at this point FWIW. It's also the only pinot we've made that shows actual varietal flavors and aromas.

Latest posts

Back