A serious medical question for the pros!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
My daughter just got in from NC and liked my blackberry. She has a friend who has, now I'm going to type this like it sounds and probably not the way it is written, sealeeacs disease.
She can't eat ANYTHING with corn or corn byproducts in it.
I know my wine has cane sugar in it, but what is in yeast energizer and yeast nutrient?
My first blackberry had cane sugar, energizer, nutrient and yeast. Nothing else.
My daughter says she can drink wine, but I'm not sure about what's in mine.

celiac's is typically a wheat/wheat gluten intolerance.
rye and barley can be sensitivities as well.
the jury is still out on oats...
my nephew has celiac's and is strictly a wheat intolerance. he tolerates corn very well. my sister is careful with oats/oatmeal.
hope this helps

Thanks for the info,,,,

and not a single mention of my spelling!!!
You are alright in my book!

I tried Yahoo Search for "celiac wine", and looked at a couple of authoritative looking sites. Both said that grape wine was OK. No mention of fruit wines. One said no to beer (makes sense due to the grains).

I suspect that the "standard" ingredients that you are using are the same or very similar to those used by commercial wines.

Steve

All those products you see on grocery stores labeled as "Gluten free" are catering to the Celiac crowd. I have a family member who has joined the "I'm a Celiac" crowd. Although no one in her family has been tested, she has self diagnosed and is now eating a completely gluten free diet. She swears she feels better..... so her diagnosis must be right? I say pish-posh. They used to eat things like frozen corn dogs, fast food, pastries, junk food, and convienience items. Now that she's gone gluten free, it's fruits, vegatables, and other healthy items. Gee.... it must have been the gluten making her feel sick. She's got the whole family on the diet but we struggle every time we invite them over. Either we have to make everything to her strict standards of 100% non-contaminated gluten ingredients, or she has to bring all her own food and we have two seperate meals. It kinda takes away from the togetherness thing. It's also a very "trendy" disease to have in her circle of friends. The food manufacturers "feed" her passion because they can charge her more for the same products just by adding Gluten Fee to the label. I think it's become a religion for her. Oh well..... my family eats healthy and can eat everything (in moderation of course). Sorry about the rant.

This girl gets very sick if she eats anything that isn't on her list. For the longest time had trouble gaining weight, but finally got that worked out.
I'm hoping she can at least try some of my "poison"! :)

My son in law has the disease. If he gets just a little gluten he breaks out in a rash and it gets much worse from there. Til you are around somebody with this, you can not believe what all is made with wheat. He can drink wine, potatoe vodka, rum and red bridge beer which is made with milo instead of wheat. I do not know what the nutrients and energizers are made of but they have never affected him. Arne.

i am in Minnesota's camp.....a culture of very sensitive to their environment people have arisen in our country....why?

i know why....some other day it is a topic for

i am in Minnesota's camp.....a culture of very sensitive to their environment people have arisen in our country....why?

i know why....some other day it is a topic for

What happens when a natural catastrophe happens? (e.g. Yellowstone Erupts into a super volcano). Here's my prediction:

- 25% of the population will die because they don't have air conditioning, heat, or running water
- 15% will die because they can't cook (they eat out every meal and can't even start a fire without gasoline and a lighter)
- 15% will starve because they couldn't kill and butcher their own meat and don't know how to scavenge plant foods from the wild
- 25% will die through the violence of others
- 15% will die because their cell phones don't work and they can't text or watch TV

That leaves the 5% of the population who are wine makers. I might suffer without the forums, but I don't think I'll die.

Some people like this young lady, do have serious medical problems that have to be dealt with.
I look at these no different than my own daughter who can not take penicillin.
There are a lot of the others that stand up and want sympathy because of their imaginary illness. And I have no sympathy for them.

As far as when the catastrophe hits,, it would have been simpler to say 95% dies trying to take what some one else has.

Some people like this young lady, do have serious medical problems that have to be dealt with.
I look at these no different than my own daughter who can not take penicillin.
There are a lot of the others that stand up and want sympathy because of their imaginary illness. And I have no sympathy for them.

As far as when the catastrophe hits,, it would have been simpler to say 95% dies trying to take what some one else has.

agree with E...
some people can take pcn and itch...some take it and can't breath...
some people eat wheat and get irregular...some eat wheat and get sick, miserable sick...
i've seen alot of interesting things in my 24 yrs. of being a nurse...
some good, some bad...
u know what the best thing i've had happen recently? when a patient found out i was making homemade wine...he brought me a case of empty bottles!!!
now, guess whose on the top of my list to give a bottle to when it's ready???

ME! ME! ME!!!!

Western Kentucky,,,, sounds like I've found a good reason to head that way...
It's funny, on our great adventure in '07 some how the wife and I rode completely around Kentucky. So I have been meaning to get there on the bike to fill in another state on my map.

ME! ME! ME!!!!

Western Kentucky,,,, sounds like I've found a good reason to head that way...
It's funny, on our great adventure in '07 some how the wife and I rode completely around Kentucky. So I have been meaning to get there on the bike to fill in another state on my map.

oh, my, you haaaavvee to get to kentucky. we are known as the "lakes region"...nothing like the great lakes, i'm sure, but still very beautiful. we are surrounded by water (kinda like florida, rolfl) ohio river to north, mississippi to the west, ky lake/lake barkley to the east..only way out without crossing water is to the south...and even then you gotta watch out for reelfoot, the earthquake lake. you and your wife would truly enjoy biking this region. biking is very popular around here. highway 80 spans the entire state from west to east (while conjoining with 68) and would allow you to see the entire state!

My hubby and one daughter have coeliac diesese, and neither of them like it, its not a choice to have to give up nearly everything that is nice or easy to cook etc. What haapens when you have this is the vilai in your gut gets stuck done and your body cannot absorb nutrients hense the original girl who this thread is about not being able to put on weight, you just get sicker and sicker, the other side effects Ill leave to your imagination but skin rashes and sneezing badly are ones I can mention.

There is certainly an 'in crowd' element of people who follow the trend of this but thats more personal choice for healthy living, theyre not coeliacs. Most people are sensitive to wheat products and barley etc to some degree so changing to a healthier diet of basic fruit vegies and meat will help any of us! Me personally I like bread too much to give it up!!!!

Hubby drinks my wine, theres nothing in it to affect a coeliac, in fact home made wine in general is better for you than shop brought if you use home grown fruit ie no srays etc and of course less chemicals or none at all if you do it that way!

So verdict is, yes she can drink your poison!!!!:dg

I appreciate all the replies. I've met the girl, her hubby and their little boy and hope she can enjoy some of my wine.
I do know the struggle she is going through to prepare food for herself and the family is a PITA. They can't really test the boy for the disease at his age yet, so it's terrible to think they have to "assume" he does have it and take caution.

I appreciate all the replies. I've met the girl, her hubby and their little boy and hope she can enjoy some of my wine.
I do know the struggle she is going through to prepare food for herself and the family is a PITA. They can't really test the boy for the disease at his age yet, so it's terrible to think they have to "assume" he does have it and take caution.
what age is he? my nephew was tested at 5 yr. old in st. louis...those officials said it was hereditary and family should be tested. my sister's other children were neg. she and i were the only other ones tested and our tests were "inconclusive" or borderline...meaning we had some "positive markers" but not full blown celiac disease. i was actually not happy considering the cost of the test. attention to anyone considering getting tested if your symptoms warrant...some insurance companies don't pay for this test. check first:mny

If I remember right he was about 4 or 5 when I met them. They have just had another baby recently, a baby girl.

You can recommend they try a homeopath where they can test him in a non invasive manner in the meantime. This is not a recognised test in that if they want some sort of help from medical serivces or for it to be offically recognised as them having the disease but it can at least let them know either way and either avoid the foods if need be or allow him to have them 9What kid doesnt want bread and pastry etc etc!?)
Mind you its not like there is much help out there anyway so it might be the best way to go anyway. Hope he doesnt have it, its a hassle for them and who ever has to cook for them (I hate cooknig now because of it) but its not their fault.

Anyone having to deal with a situation of cooknig for them, try just cooking a roast with vegies (They can choose to have gravy if they want or not) or in summer a Barbeque with salads where you keep all stuff seperate ie a bowl of salad greens, plate of tomatoes, olives or whatever etc means that if you accidently add something thats off their list they dont have to pick it.

Back