a quick question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

artjunkie

hello there to all, I've made a few wine kits and am now getting ready to try some odd fruit or vegetable wines, my question is- most of the recipe's are for 1 gallon batches which I think is a good thing incase it doesn't work out,, where do I get a 2 gallon food grade primary fermentor? I can't find anything smaller then 6gallons from the wine and beer making shop? what do you all use that make small batches? I have a few gallon jugs for secondary's all ready but the plastic primary has me at a loss. I don't want to use something that poisons me or something... thanks in advance

When in primary fermentation the more room you have the better so throw it right in the big bucket, it helps get more 02 to the wine. You can go to a donut shop or ice cream shop and probably get a 3 gallon bucket though and those would be food grade.

I picked some up today at the bakery dept.at the grochery store.Upper

thanks for teh reply and tips... guess I'll go looking for a few 3 galon buckets (the ones I have are full right now :h)

Lowes has 2 gallon paint buckets that are food grade and work quite well. They cost 2-3 bucks!

I really dont think those are food grade. Rather just a paint bucket.
It should say HDPE for food grade.
Don't go by the #in the tirangle

I really dont think those are food grade. Rather just a paint bucket.
It should say HDPE for food grade.
Don't go by the #in the tirangle
Yes it has the HDPE along with the number 2 in the triangle. They also have a 5 gallon bucket for $2.34. The lid is another 2 bucks. I have used it on 3 or 4 batches now with good results.

I'll have to get some. Do they (2gal) come w/lids?

Yes there were lids as well. Alittle extra charge of course. They snap down but I thonk they were intended to do that once and then you break the seal afterwards. I just sit it on top tightly but not snapped down for ease of use.

Latest posts

Back