A Quick Question!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamSerra

Junior
Reaction score
What's the biggest problem your facing right now as a beginner wine maker?

Appreciate the feed back,

William :dg

Seriously, knowing what your physical limits are. 1 carboy to 4 to 7 to 11 and so on........
Actually, jump in, get your feet wet (so to speak) and if any problems come up, this is the best place to figure them out. Use a hydrometer. Always. Record your readings.

Last edited:
What's the biggest problem your facing right now as a beginner wine maker?

Appreciate the feed back,

William :dg

Hello William and welcome to our forum. Perhaps before we tell you the problems we are having, how about you introduce yourself to us and tell us who you are and what you do. Do you make wine or are you wishing to make wine? You state you are from Rome but your IP address is UK. We love to have and welcome members from all over the world. Additionally, if you read the historical posts, you'll see the issues faced by us amateur wine makers.

1st welcome!
Now, I see that if you don't have all the proper equipment you will have a hard time 1st go around.
Now if YOU are asking, ask here 1st for guidance

William, I am a newbie myself but have made several 5 or 6 gallon batches of various fruit wines with lots of questions to this forum. I live in Central America with no suppliers and have run into many problems that I didn't expect when I originally had my supplies shipped here fro the U.S. They have given me lots of help with my questions but I think you need to come to them with specific questions.

My biggest problem is having to go to my day job instead of creating a new batch for the Primary.
Welcome to the forum:ib

I think the biggest problem a beginner finds is not having patience.
Time is a good thing with wine making, but at first you can't wait to taste what you've created.
Make two batches of everything,,,
one to drink and one to let age so it will be better when you get around to drinking it.

Space! Got to be the biggest problem I have experienced. I started making wine in March of this year with one wine kit I bought from a local winery. Now I have about 12 - 5 gallon buckets I'm using as primary fermenters (all of which are full and fermenting right now) 10 carboys and about 40 one gallon jugs. I have lost count of the air locks and bungs of all sizes I have purchased. I now have cases of wine in my bed room and in the living room. I simply don't have any more room for anything else. Wife and I counted it all up today and I currently have 75 gallons of wine in various stages going right now.

Second problem - Work. I have a job that interferes with my wine making obsession. God knows I'm not complaining cause I need my job, but my obsession with this new hobby would be so much more fun if I had ample time to play!

Third Problem: All your family and friends drink up all your wine! Course, it's fun sharing with them - but I never knew I had so many friends until I started making wine. Shoot, my daughter has started calling in orders for her parties and stuff. Everyone seems to want to buy it and I can't sell a drop - no license! :D

I'm very new to this... the hardest part for the absolute beginner is lack of experience! No amount of books or reading can tell you if things are really going well :)

Another hard part for the beginner... getting started! That first batch of wine is expensive, per bottle (with no guarantees that it will come out ok). Supposedly it gets much cheaper after this.

My biggest problem is patience.. haha I want to drink it now to see how it turns out... :ib

Space!
Work.
All your family and friends drink up all your wine!

I gotta agree with you David, like John said DITTO

I mean you start out thinking oh a cool hobby then all of a sudden it kinda takes over. Every bottle or jug you see you think hmmmm that might could be used for wine. You see fruit getting to ripe for the stores to sell so your asking hey can I buy all this at a bulk price to keep you from having to chuck it out?? Also if you live close to wineries like I do you become a dumpster diver for bottles(which I can say is good for getting those nice blue 375 bottles) oh and if your good at talking to people(BSing) which I seem to be people will save these things just for you LOL

makes you feel all special

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back