A question about MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_jeeps

Reaction score
In the past, when I started with grapes, I found that doing MLF at the end of the fermentation cycle, took the sharpness out of the wine, and made it smoother and fuller on my palate, which I liked.
For this current batch, I started with a 6 gal bucket of merlot juice and it is almost done fermenting. I am considering doing MLF.
Is there anything I can check with the wine at this point that would indicate if I should/should not do MLF? or is it more of a 'try it and see' approach?

The current stats are at 69 degrees: ph 3.74, SG 1.000. The wine is in the 6 gal bucket and has not been degassed. I also plan on adding light oak to the wine when I transfer it to a carboy.
Thanks for any guidance.
J

Conventional wisdom is all red wines (from buckets and grapes) should go through Mlf. I would certainly do it with your Merlot. Merlot can be difficult to get Mlf to start, so use a good strain of bacteria, I'm sure you no doubt add SO2 until after mlf completes. I always add oak during mlf to give the bacteria a place to sit during mlf.

I've heard this is the same thing that happens during 'beachwood aging of some tasteless, fizzy, yellow liquid you may have heard about.
I was on the tour of the place where they make that liquid and there is a difference, the beechwood is used because it imparts no flavor. We all know oak imparts lots of flavor.

Latest posts

Back