A Milestone has been Achieved

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
This thread marks my 1000th post!:D

What do I win?:? I was really holding for an all expense paid trip to Wades wine cellar, but will take whatever I can get.

Please send checks, prizes and any other awards to:

SUB ARCTIC WINO
Lost in the Wilderness Blvd.
Fairbanks, Alaska
(no need for a zip, we don't have post offices)
:):)

Troy
:b

Last edited:
Will send every available bear in your direction!

( they're cute and cuddly right?)

Allie

I've never hugged one, but believe it or not, I stepped in bear poo this morning picking cranberries, now I know why I have had a slim picking season this year. Guess I'll be armed next time. They love berries too and have the right of way...but I, as a 1000th poster to this fine forum, have the "right way!!!":D LOL

Ido need to take a second to thank everyone for all their help and encouragement to have kept me interested to have got this far. This really is a fun and rewarding obsession and I am pleased to be able to share it with all of you.

SKOAL:b

Troy

Last edited:
:DDon't fun with me! The State of Alaska is getting ready to give all of us $1200 skins and I haven't been out of here in over 5 yrs. So if you find some drunk on your doorstep in the middle of the night I hope you are prepared to explain to your wife that it was all your fault.LOL:D
Troy

Troy?

I asked you ages ago.. what is a skin worth?

just mail me privately if it's something you don't want repeated on the web.

Allie

G, perhaps you are trying to misunderstand me. We have and still trap animals here for there fur. Though I have never liked the idea of trapping. So in the days gone buy, many trappers traded their furs(pelts) for supplies they need, putting a dollar amount on a particular pelt. Thus the term, " I'll give you five skins for that bag of flour", etc.

No sarcasmn on the way on this one, but you know if there was, you would soon know!LOL:D
Troy

This thread marks my 1000th post!:D

What do I win?:? I was really holding for an all expense paid trip to Wades wine cellar, but will take whatever I can get.

Please send checks, prizes and any other awards to:

SUB ARCTIC WINO
Lost in the Wilderness Blvd.
Fairbanks, Alaska
(no need for a zip, we don't have post offices)
:):)

Troy
:b
1,000 tells me you TALK TO MUCH !.. LOL !

Its an arbitrary Alaskan term for $1/US

I was thinking from that answer Troy.

that you are being paid USD $1 per skin. Which is why I am somewhat horrified. Please tell me that isn't what you are paid?

Allie

No, it's more than that. It's been a long time since I have been around any trapping( Aug 26th made my 30th year here), another milestone. But nowadays wolves are around $400, Beaver $35-200, Marten $35-80. But after seeing my first marten hanging by its paw crying I swore I would never trap again, and I haven't. It is a way of life here for many people so it is something that I accept, but that doesn't mean I like or condone it. There is a type of trap here called a Connibear and it kills them instantly, and I don't really have a large problem with that.

But at the risk of being shunned by my fellow Alaskans, especially those who rely on trapping for a living, UGH. Kind of discusting. When I was picking berries today a Canadian Jay sat down on a branch next to me and I said out loud, "Hello Mr. Bird".

I really am a "bunny hugger" at heart. I have killed many animals here and have used everysingle piece of it, but I always thanked the Land and the animal spirits for giving it to me.

I lived almost 3 yrs in the wilderness when I first came to Alaska and I carried a gun with me all the time, and I shot everything that was edible. I never thought of it as hunting, and still find no sport at all in hunting. But to me killing a wild animal for food is just the way it is. Trapping. Sorry, I will have to remain neutral.

There is a part of my soul in every last square inch of the wilderness around me, and I respect it without regard to what the white man thinks. I only take what is offered and only that what I need.

That is the way, said the OWL. At least I think thats what he said. He was probably saying, " Go away kid your scaring away my dinner".:D

Troy

No wonder you drink Troy.

I'd have to consider veganism if I had to trap animals for food and trade.

thank goodness you don't just trap expensive pelts for their monetary value.

Allie

I'm sitting on a sheepskin on my office chair as we speak. I paid $40 for it. Is there really a difference? The boots I am wearing are made from leather. I said I was a bunny hugger not a herbivore.

And what makes you think I drink? LOL:d

Actually, I don't even LIKE wine, I just like hanging out with you all.:D

I joke, of course.:b
Troy

I'm not getting into a debate about your sheepskin rug Troy, after all, sheep and cattle are farmed.

I recall the avatar pic of you sitting beside a dead polar bear.

and was thinking $1 for a polar bear skin was just wrong.

just my opinion.

oh I looked up marten pelts.. they command $66 each.

are those animals a pest? In NZ we are overrun with opossums..( they emigrated from australia).. and now they are endangered in australia and a pest in NZ.

we should just trap them live and release them back into the australian outback.

Allie

Last edited:
Ifin you could get a Polar Bear skin, you would be talking around $20,000. If I had that I would donate half to the preservation of these species and use the rest to fly down and harrass you in person.:D Of course I'm joking. We actually are facing a crisis with the polar bears here. Because of the retreating sea ice due to global warming, and I think you down there are seeing the same. They actually think the polar bears here may be extinct in the next 50 yrs. They have to swim out so far to find the ice to rest and hunt from they are becoming exhausted and are drowning before they get that far. Damn shame.

There was a report in our news the other days that 2-300 walruses were found dead on the shore in NWestern Alaska, haven't heard anything more yet, but they are saying that sometimes the herd can become startled from airplanes, ships, gunshots, etc., and the young simply get trampled.

It is amazing that even in our lifetimes, animals like these can become extinct, or at least threatened in our own lifetimes, virtually before our eyes.

I don't know if we can change any of it as individuals, but the least we can do is be concerned and aware of it or there damn sure won't be anything we can do once there gone.

Troy

Thankyou Troy..

I really was a bit shocked at the thought of pelts being so cheap.

and I had to ask you.

We're not all tree huggers in NZ, however we are quite concerned about extinction of species. It's important for everyone to take some care with the environment..

Allie

It was necessary for me to pull out of college but my Major was, and still is, Natural Resource Management. My Professor, Dr. Scott has traveled to NZ many times and brought up several times in her lectures, her concerns about not only the wildlife there but your ecosystem as well. Most people don't, won't, or can't understand that when we start talking about places like Alaska or New Zeland that are on the "end of the road" that the balance of the ecosystem is even more fragile than anywhere else, where some of these problems and concerns already exist. Some things can't be changed there, but places like NZ, Alaska, Greenland, etc., it may not be to late. But to see them first hand makes my heart sad knowing that each and everyone of us could make a small change and have an impact on there futures.

This probably isn't a place to get into a deep discussion about this. But as far as I am concerned, each and everyone of us, as human beings has the right, the responsibility, and the duty to our fellow inhabitants, human or not, to pay attention to the carbon footprint we leave behind.

Maybe thats why I want to visit NZ so bad, because what little I do know about it, I know your citizens at least care about the environment around you, and so do we here in Alaska. We talk a big noise, but the truth is we all here care very deeply about this state and the beauty and love we live around or we wouldn't be here. Those that don't truly care don't last long and they are "asked" to leave.

Last edited:
My youngest daughter is a potential military greenpeace recruit. I'm harassed by her on a daily basis Troy.. no need for you to fly out and help her! ( this is why I have a worm farm and a veg garden and a compost heap!)

Agreed...This isn't the forum for deep debate/discussion about the general lack of concern about the planets species. I needed to query what alaska was doing with pelts is all. Sometimes I think the more remote the area.. the more they get away with damaging the environment.. No one knows it is happening.

Allie

Latest posts

Back